Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Long distance relationships

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone had one? Did it work out?

Comments

• Options
    Yes i have and no it didnt, kinda.
    We went out for over a year on and off and she kept breaking up with me and then wanting to get back together then wanted to go out with other guys then wanted it to be serious between us, basically not getting to see each other enough made it very very very difficult for us. i kept trying to make it work, but she didnt, so much.

They can work i am sure though, if both of you know what you want.
  • Options
    cheers. I met a lad on holiday and we have spoke for nearly 2 hours everyday on the phone since we got back but he lives in Belfast and i live in Newcastle. I'm going over there next week and he coming over here a couple weeks later. I hope it does work but i'm sure we'll soon see
  • Options
    Been in one for 18 months.
  • Options
    Yeah, but it didn't work out.

We didn't see each other enough, and any time we did we argued because there was so much pressure to enjoy every minute we did have together. It didn't really help that instead of people being happy for us we got a lot of spite and stuff, but we had a good wee while toegther when we made each other really happy. Truth be told, I don't think either of us were really able to deal with the distance. We still love each other to bits though and I don't regret what happened at all.

Some people can do it, but I think one of you need to have some sort of plan to move after a while otherwise there's not a lot of point.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Been in one for 18 months.

Cool. How far apart if you don't me asking?
  • Options
    Cool. How far apart if you don't me asking?

200 miles
  • Options
    I could never have one as I'm quite a physical person... Nor do I see how they could work. That'd not to say they can't... But it definately isn't for me.
  • Options
    I do, and it works well, i couldnt imagine it any different until we'd live together some time after uni.

we spend 3 nights together every other weekend. and even more over the summer. (we dont go to the same uni or live near each at home). It works perfectly, i have a separate live with and without her, and i do quite enjoy the travelling, as its not too costly at all.
  • Options
    He has a job where he's reguarly driving up and down the country, I'm 10 minutes off the M1 so if he's passing he can usually fly by to see me, his work don't seem to mind as they know it's long distance. So it breaks up the times where we actually spend several days to a week together. The time flies by and the next thing i know i'm seeing him again. Doesn't mean it's not hard though. We're both quite laid back which helps i think, i know another couple in a LDR and they're constantly at each others necks.
  • Options
    I had a LDR for about 4 years, me in London him in Bristol - it was ok while it lasted. Quite difficult in the early days getting used to not being able to physically be with him when I wanted but I got used to it.

I was getting ready to move to Bristol to live with him and I think our relationship changing in such a big way made things go a bit weird and we broke up!

Id do it again though given my time again - LDRs have their good points and their bad but they are difficult to maintain and you never know how well you would get on if you were closer.