Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tax

I've been in my new job for about a month and a half now. In the first week or two, I got emergency taxed so I handed in my P46. Since then, I've not got taxed at all. I realise that for the first few weeks this may have been because they were returning the extra tax that was taken off me However, its gone beyond that now and I'm a little confused as to why I'm not getting taxed at all. I'm getting my national insurance taken off me.

This has been my first job since April (the new tax year). Do they let me earn my £5000 (or whatever it is) before they start taxing me again or something? Should I ring them up and ask them? I don't wanna get landed with some massive tax bill when they realise!
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ask your company for the telephone number of their tax office and the PAYE reference number. Give them a call and they will be able to sort it out. I would recommend doing this sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    So I should be getting taxed then even though I've yet to earn my £5k?
  • Options
    So I should be getting taxed then even though I've yet to earn my £5k?

Its based on what you are expected to earn over the tax year, I presume you are expected to earn more than £5k in the year, ergo you should be taxed. What the tax office should do if you are in a full time job is calculate what you would earn if you carried on earning this for the full year and then tax you based on that.

Or at least I'm fairly sure thats how it works.
  • Options
    Ahhh. They might still be assuming I'm a still a student then as students don't get taxed in the holidays. Cheers. I'll have to give them a ring!
  • Options
    I think my tax is done something along these lines:

They assume you'll earn the same each week/month.

They then divide your allowance by a years worth of weeks/months and tax what you earn in a week/month that is over your allowance.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Its based on what you are expected to earn over the tax year, I presume you are expected to earn more than £5k in the year, ergo you should be taxed. What the tax office should do if you are in a full time job is calculate what you would earn if you carried on earning this for the full year and then tax you based on that.

Or at least I'm fairly sure thats how it works.
    :yes:

That's my understanding of it as well. And then if you don't earn £5k they give you all the money that they've taken away back :D.
  • Options
    Ahhh. They might still be assuming I'm a still a student then as students don't get taxed in the holidays. Cheers. I'll have to give them a ring!

Students DO get taxed in their holidays, unless they arrange with HMRC and the employer that they will not earn over the lower earnings threshold (currently about £87 per week).

If you're not being taxed it could be because your tax code has changed to reflect the overpaid tax, but you should contact HMRC and find out why.
  • Options
    I think my tax is done something along these lines:

They assume you'll earn the same each week/month.

They then divide your allowance by a years worth of weeks/months and tax what you earn in a week/month that is over your allowance.

What Scary and Budda said. Tax allowances are based on what you should earn over the year in full. Give HMRC general advice line a call Numbers if you still need it You need your NI number and your Employers PAYE refernce (whoch if you explain to Payroll they should be happy to provide)

Your current tax code should be on your payslips (I'm assuming your paid weekly) It should be 522L but might have a different number. If it NT then the Revenue have told your Employer not to tax until further notice.
  • Options
    Snow white - I remember answering a very similar question for you on this matter a while back. I typed out a huge lengthy reply and never heard anything back from you :yeees: I would trawl back through some of your old threads.

Freeallangels - we don't issue NT codes anymore and generally wouldn't have done to students anyhow - they tend to say they are working in the summer holidays only then carry on afterwards into term time - end up owing tax then they come whinging to me that they are students and don't pay tax :banghead: What we do now ask for estimated incomes from each employment and split your allowances between the two employments. Underpayments come about far too easily once you have given the employer authority to pay someone without taking any tax. :) Some employers put NT on payslips if they use P38(s)'s but technically they shouldn't as it causes confusion when the P45 is issued and the employee carries the code forward to the new job.
  • Options
    Some employers put NT on payslips if they use P38(s)'s but technically they shouldn't as it causes confusion when the P45 is issued and the employee carries the code forward to the new job.

I had this problem once, and then had to explain to the person involoved that they did have to pay tax. I dont know where the "Students dont have to pay income tax" comes from, but its bull. And makes me want to hurt people when they say it as gospel
  • Options
    And makes me want to hurt people when they say it as gospel

Oh yes...I think I hear it at least 10 times a day! Especially now the holidays are here. They turn up at my office, usually with their mums for some reason. It amazes me that these people have got into university, but are unable to complete a fairly simple form or remember where they have worked in the last year. Grrrrr.
  • Options
    Oh yes...I think I hear it at least 10 times a day! Especially now the holidays are here. They turn up at my office, usually with their mums for some reason. It amazes me that these people have got into university, but are unable to complete a fairly simple form or remember where they have worked in the last year. Grrrrr.

:lol: Why go the tax office with you mum?
  • Options
    :lol: I don't know why but they all do!! And generally mum does all the talking too, you see these 21 year olds regress to 9 year olds in front of your eyes...
  • Options
    If they are anything like my brother then it's because he has no clue about tax and my parents just get exasperated trying to explain what to do, so instead drag him along while trying to sort it out.

The rest of the students at work aren't getting taxed this summer, and our payroll people are quick to hunt down the students and point out that they are unlikely to have to pay tax so fill in this ere form quick.

If a reasonable number of places do that, or that news gets around then you can see where the idea comes from. I suspect that very few students actually hit the tax threshold, so that will be where the idea comes from.
  • Options
    and maybe because students don't have to pay council tax.
  • Options
    I can see where the idea has come from, it's just the attitude that goes with it that gets my back up a bit I guess :blush: They also don't understand that the tax free pay only applies to work done in holidays and get really narky when they get taxed on their weekend and evening jobs :(
  • Options
    Its sorted now. Well, at least I think it is.

I rang up the tax office today and they told me that despite earning well over what should be taxed, I haven't earnt over the taxable amount or something. They told me I've got a few grand to earn untaxable and then I'll get taxed so I'll get taxed soon and I won't get charged for being undertaxed apparently.