Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Dental Appointments at Work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Dunno if this should be in Work or not, whatever really.

I'm supposed to be getting some quite intense root canal treatment on Wednesday, and also my two back teeth extracted because they're giving me agony. Appointment is sceheduled for 9.15am (couple of hours before I start work) and my dentist advised me that I won't be able to speak all day so I'd need the day off work.

I only got confirmation today that they had results back from the lab and I could get treated on Wednesday, so I booked the appointment.

My work are saying that there's nothing they can do because it's short notice and it'll have to go down as a sick day. Normally it wouldn't be an issue, but I've already had to take time off for previous dental treatment (not the whole day though, half an hour twice and have provided appointment cards) and if I need another day then I'll get a written warning and disciplinary.

I can't re-schedule cause I've got a week long holiday booked and need it sorted before then. It looks like I'm going to have to come in and not be able to speak all day, which is a bit of a bitch seeing as my job centres around talking to people all day long. Absolute joke, and they're fucked if they think I'm letting it ruin my first holiday in ages.

Any ideas, can they actually do this or what? I'm a member of the Union too, think they might be able to help?

Comments

• Options
    I would talk to your union.

It's breaching your human rights (believe it or not!) for your company to refuse to allow you time off for medical treatment. They would need to show that this wasn't clinically necessary.

I don't know what you do Bri so forgive this assumption, but you must work in a call centre of some sort? There aren;t many other places, these days, which take such a sweat shop approach to employee relations :mad:
  • Options
    Yep, work for o2.

Might have a word with the union. It's quite intimidating because it's standard policy company-wide, so surely it must be legal if it's such a big company? Surely somebody before me must have tried to take them on and failed, otherwise they'd have relaxed the rules?

Just started recently too, don't really want to be sticking out as somebdoy who'll ruffle feathers y'know?
  • Options
    Technically it's none of their business, unless it will impact on your ability to do the job in the future.

Personally I find it offensive that some companies ask to see an appointment card...
  • Options
    Am I understanding this right?

They want to give you a written warning and disciplinary for having time off sick?

Pretty sure they can't do that, and it would certainly be worth getting in touch with the union for advice as a starting point.

That is after all what you pay your union membership for!

And while we are obviously amazingly talented, your union should know far more about how the law works and the best way to go about things in your line of work than we do.
  • Options

Personally I find it offensive that some companies ask to see an appointment card...

Ironically, NHS are often one of them....
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Yep, work for o2.

Fuck, we may well have spoken. Must get you to sort out my next contract ;)
    It's quite intimidating because it's standard policy company-wide, so surely it must be legal if it's such a big company? Surely somebody before me must have tried to take them on and failed, otherwise they'd have relaxed the rules?

Just started recently too, don't really want to be sticking out as somebdoy who'll ruffle feathers y'know?

Okay, the can ask you to change the dates if it isn't "urgent" medical treatment, but that has to be with your agreement. Otherwise they are just prolonging your pain and that is how it becomes a human rights issue.

Your Union will have been consulted on policy so get their prespective before deciding what to do...
  • Options
    Ironically, NHS are often one of them....

Only the bad managers, or with untrusted members of staff ;)
  • Options
    Cheers guys, gonna speak to the Union bloke.

I know they get a lot of skivers there who aren't interested in work but it seems like it's a case of guilty until proven innocent and it's not really on.
    Fuck, we may well have spoken. Must get you to sort out my next contract ;)

Well if you phone on Wednesday and speak to some Scottish bloke who sounds like he's got a frisbee lodged in his mouth then say hello ;)
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Well if you phone on Wednesday and speak to some Scottish bloke who sounds like he's got a frisbee lodged in his mouth then say hello ;)

Sorry, how is that different from the norm?

:p
  • Options

Pretty sure they can't do that, and it would certainly be worth getting in touch with the union for advice as a starting point.
    [/SIZE]

They can. One of the big supermarkets does it lots. Have looked into it and it is legal as stupid as it sounds.
  • Options
    Jesus that wasn't nice :(

Phoned in sick, cause I've got a dentist letter saying under no circumstances should I be in work today. If they start giving me grief about it tomorrow then they can go and shove it.

In total agony, having Terry fucking Wogan wittering on in the background didn't really help take my mind off the fact that he was screwing out my roots.