Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is it rude?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My auntie and cousin, who I haven't seen since I was 3 (not that I can remember) are visiting just for today. And they're sat downstairs with my mum talking. I sat with them for a while, but they just ended up talking about relatives I'd never heard of and places I'd never been too, so I took away the tea mugs and have come on here instead instead. Is that rude? I know I haven't ever really spoken to them, but I have nothing to say so I end up sitting there in silence while everyone makes polite conversation.

Comments

• Options
    I suppose it is a little rude if you haven't seen them for years however then if they aren't even talking to you then what's the point in sitting there.

Put yourself in their shoes, if you came around to their house and you hadn't seen them for ages and one went upstairs what would you think?
  • Options
    No I don't think it is rude, you've put in an appearance and made some small talk but with some relatives, particularly ones you aren't close to, there isn't much to say beyond that I guess.
  • Options
    Yes it is.
  • Options
    dont worry about it :)
  • Options
    Ok, I went back down and had lunch with them. But my Dad's made a break for it saying he's 'got work he has to do', so I was sat there once again admist the talk of people I haven't heard of and weddings I didn't go to, so I made yet more tea then came back on here, leaving my mum to it. It's my mum's sister who she hasn't seen for about 15 years, so I guess they've got a lot more to catch up on, and I look like a lemon just sat there :( I don't know why, these things get me stressed.
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry, I'd do the same! I know a lot of people will feel differently, but seeing as I'm a lot closer to certain friends than I am to certain members of my family, I wouldn't feel bad about disappearing after putting in a brief appearance. Especially if, as you say, you've got jack all to talk about. Fret not my lovely
  • Options
    My auntie and cousin, who I haven't seen since I was 3 (not that I can remember) are visiting just for today. And they're sat downstairs with my mum talking. I sat with them for a while, but they just ended up talking about relatives I'd never heard of and places I'd never been too, so I took away the tea mugs and have come on here instead instead. Is that rude? I know I haven't ever really spoken to them, but I have nothing to say so I end up sitting there in silence while everyone makes polite conversation.

TBH I have no problem if my kids disappear, so long as they say hello and show their faces. It's just as rude to expect them to sit through a conversation which they cannot join in.
  • Options
    If they were talking to you or making an effort to include you in the conversation, and you just left, then yeah it's rude. Otherwise, no it's not.
  • Options
    TBH I have no problem if my kids disappear, so long as they say hello and show their faces. It's just as rude to expect them to sit through a conversation which they cannot join in.

Indeed. I'd always dissapear upstairs when mum's relatives were around; but would always say hello.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    It might be rude, but sometimes rudeness is preferable to the alternatives and occasions like this are one of these times. Better to seem rude to somebody you rarely see than sit around doing nothing except being bored.