Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Going back in to councelling...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So yeah... I'm going to start having councelling sessions again, if the university councillor will have me and has time. I've been thinking about it for a while, although at the same time I feel like I'm taking steps back, you know?

I've been in a unit in the past and also been in therapy and councilling from 15-20. I was fine for a while, but family issues, university stress and coming out has kinda made things hard and presented new challenges.

Is going back an admittance that I haven't really got anywhere with my depression?

I thought I was recovered... But then I am having some seriously shitty days where I've been contemplating suicide. In fact it has gone from less of an apathy to, at times an intense fear and loss of control. Some nights I am too hyper to sleep as well...

So I was wondering, does anybody think that maybe depression is cyclic?

What about ups and downs?

Could this be a rebound from the fact I've been constantly wasted on something or other in the past few months and had to stop when i got home?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't know much about depression as such but I know that every now and again ( every few years or so ) I seem to get quite down with life over things that I wouldn't normally let get to me, but not the extent you feel.

I wouldn't say seeking further help is an admission of anything other than right now in your life you need some help and support to get through. I think its quite brave of people to seek out help when its needed to many people are to frightened to do that.

If you have been drinking or taking drugs for a few months and using them to perhaps mask how you feel then a change in your circumstances along with the lack of your chemical crutch could perhaps have caused you to feel really down, your body is trying to cope with the withdrawal or substances its used to and your mind is trying to cope with the new emotions and the situation.

Sorry I know I'm a bit useless with things like this but I hope you don't feel so bad today xx