Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Msn

BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
I have just downloaded the newish version of MSN and it wont let me sign in.
It says something about a firewall..this is? and how do I get around it?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A firewall is a program installed on your computer which prevents dubious files, viruses and trojans getting on your computer. It also helps prevent unauthorised attempts to access your computer. When you go online, your computer links with others around the world. A firewall tries to keep tab on these, stopping anything it considers dubious or doesn't recognise.

When you sign into MSN, your computer accesses the MSN network, and vice versa. Your firewall doesn't recognise this new version. Therefore, it blocks MSN from making a connection with your computer, just to be on the safe side. Check your firewall settings. You may have your settings on too high, or may have to create an exemption to allow you to sign in.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Check your firewall settings. You may have your settings on too high, or may have to create an exemption to allow you to sign in.

How do I do this?
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    How do I do this?
    Depends entirely on your firewall.

Alternative, just get on the phone to Koey and nag him about it. It's what all my girlfriends used to do when MSN didn't bloody work for them at one o'clock in the morning. :p
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Depends entirely on your firewall.

Alternative, just get on the phone to Koey and nag him about it. It's what all my girlfriends used to do when MSN didn't bloody work for them at one o'clock in the morning. :p

Thats no good, I have just been on the phone to him because all the letters were in capitals...he asked if shift key was stuck, and it was :blush:

So anyone else know this firewall malarky?
  • Options
    doubt it's a firewall problem, did you try resetting your router?

If you want to disable the firewall tho, go to control panel then security centre, then there's a firewall option which you can turn off.

oh, and post the full error message you sponge :P Also did you try the troubleshooting button, it will usually go through all your connection checks and fix any networking problems for you
  • Options
    noog wrote: »

If you want to disable the firewall tho, go to control panel then security centre, then there's a firewall option which you can turn off.

oh, and post the full error message you sponge :P Also did you try the troubleshooting button, it will usually go through all your connection checks and fix any networking problems for you

The error message is long, and I cant copy and paste. :(

I tried troubleshooting just then, and it says it is a gateway problem :S and it tried repairing but failed! grr!

Help me Noogle
  • Options
    noog wrote: »

I wouldn't disable the firewall, and i doubt very much there would be a conflict between the windows firewall and MSN.

Do you have a 3rd party firewall set up? in the bottom right hand corner next to the time is there an icon that when you hover over it, it says "Zone Alarm", "Norton Internet Security" or anything referencing a firewall?

Also i wouldn't lower the Firewall security settings either as suggested above, if your only experiencing problems on a single application it would make much more sense just to edit the permissions for that application (as suggested by star..), instead of lowering your overal protection.

If you do have a third party firewall then post which it is and we'll guide you through how to allow MSN access through it :thumb:
  • Options
    Is AVG a third party firewall? Thanks so much for this!!
  • Options
    Usually AVG is just an Anti Virus package which wouldn't be the problem, however i know they have an Anti Spyware package out (again wouldn't be the problem) but i suspect they also have a Firewall out too, double click on it and when it launches see if there is any reference to it being a firewall, chances are it'll just be an Anti Virus in which case won't be the issue.
  • Options
    No I had a look, and it is just Anti Spyware.

However, I have Zone Labs, is this the same as Zone Alarm? Think that is a firewall.
  • Options
    Yeah, if you launch it (we don't have it here at work so can't open it in front of me, but if i remember correctly) On the left hand panel approx half way down should be an option labeled "Programs" you click on this, then on the right hand side should be three tabs, the middle should be "Program Settings" when you click that it should populate a list of all the programs that try to access the internet, down the list should be the new version of MSN, along side it it will probably have four question marks (perhaps even crosses) providing this is the program you downloaded set this to ticks by clicking on the crosses/question marks and selecting "Allow" from the menu that appears.

Apologies like i said i dont have it in front of me, so things may be labeled differently, but it should be fairly similar to what i've put, if anything is majorly different just post what options you have available.
  • Options
    Mr Orange wrote: »
    Yeah, if you launch it (we don't have it here at work so can't open it in front of me, but if i remember correctly) On the left hand panel approx half way down should be an option labeled "Programs" you click on this, then on the right hand side should be three tabs, the middle should be "Program Settings" when you click that it should populate a list of all the programs that try to access the internet, down the list should be the new version of MSN, along side it it will probably have four question marks (perhaps even crosses) providing this is the program you downloaded set this to ticks by clicking on the crosses/question marks and selecting "Allow" from the menu that appears.

Apologies like i said i dont have it in front of me, so things may be labeled differently, but it should be fairly similar to what i've put, if anything is majorly different just post what options you have available.

Mr Orange my dear friend, are a star! I am in business!

Thank you so so much, now get back to work! :p
  • Options
    Not a problem dear, we can't be leaving pretty young ladies MSNless now can we!

Hmmm work...

You're right... i think i had better go and put the kettle on :thumb:
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    Thats no good, I have just been on the phone to him because all the letters were in capitals...he asked if shift key was stuck, and it was :blush:
    We can't expect our postgraduate law student to know about using a computer, can we? :p
  • Options
    i hate that msn shit ! it sucks !! better Use aMsn its good and says bye to all motherfucker errors :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :impissed:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Malcom wrote: »
    i hate that msn shit ! it sucks !! better Use aMsn its good and says bye to all motherfucker errors :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :impissed:
    :yes: :yes: :yes: :thumb: