Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bidding on ebay

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
if an item has a starting price of £15 and someone else has already bidded - and I say wanted to bid a MAXIMUM of £30 - what would the price increase by if someone tried to bid again, is it steps of £1 ?

I basically want to wait until about 2 minutes before bidding ends to place my bid BUT the items is a good price and something I really need and could cost be up to £30 to £40 for a lesser product - however if someone else starts bidding against me with 2 minutes to go I want them to be scratching their heads as to what the highest bid is.

Comments

• Options
    If you place a bid of £30 and the bidding is at £15 then if the person bidding against you bids £17 they will recieve a message saying they have been outbid. It is then up to them to keep placing a bid until they beat yours, when they will become the high bidder. Either they will back down at a lower price or they will outbid you.
    Best bet is to keep the bids as low as possible, ie don't bid on it at all until 1 minute or so before the end, then bid in small increments. There's a higher chance someone else watching will place a massive bid with seconds to spare, meaning you lose, but the chances are the overall price if you do win will be a lot lower.
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    if an item has a starting price of £15 and someone else has already bidded - and I say wanted to bid a MAXIMUM of £30 - what would the price increase by if someone tried to bid again, is it steps of £1 ?
    depends. the increments will be dependent on what the other person is bidding up to your maximum bid, but it won't exceed your maximum.
  • Options
    DG wrote: »

I basically want to wait until about 2 minutes before bidding ends to place my bid BUT the items is a good price and something I really need and could cost be up to £30 to £40 for a lesser product - however if someone else starts bidding against me with 2 minutes to go I want them to be scratching their heads as to what the highest bid is.

They will be. It doesn't tell the other person what your maximum is, and it doesn't just jump straight to your maximum unless the other person bid higher.