Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The Slave Trade in Bristol

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This topic may seem like shameless self-promoting and in a way it is, but Im posting it as I thought the topic may interest some people as it is currently relevant due to the 200th anniversary of the slave trade.

Basically, I have just graduated from university after completing a degree in history. My dissertation topic was about the Bristol slave trade between 1720-1750, a time when it was at its peak. It discusses whether the impact of the trade upon the city was as large as is generally believed due to media hype. Therefore, for anyone interested in eighteenth century Bristol, or the impact which the slave trade could have upon a community, then this might be a good read. The mark I got for it was a First class so it must be fairly decent!

Anyways, if anybody is interested in reading it, you can download it as a pdf file from http://www.lulu.com/content/725513 or buy it in paperback. You can also buy it in hardback from http://www.lulu.com/content/733127.

I dont make any money from any sales as the book company do, but i am just posting in case anybody might be interested in reading it!

If anybody has any questions to ask me about the slave trade, I will also try and answer them!

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    DJHyde wrote: »
    Therefore, for anyone interested in eighteenth century Bristol

Form an orderly Queue peeps :D

Good luck with it though :thumb:
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Form an orderly Queue peeps :D

Good luck with it though :thumb:

:lol:
  • Options
    I would rather die than read that. I am totally fed up with people in Bristol banging on about the slave trade.
  • Options
    Lacy wrote: »
    I would rather die than read that. I am totally fed up with people in Bristol banging on about the slave trade.

Do they?
  • Options
    DJHyde wrote: »
    This topic may seem like shameless self-promoting and in a way it is, but Im posting it as I thought the topic may interest some people as it is currently relevant due to the 200th anniversary of the slave trade.

Basically, I have just graduated from university after completing a degree in history. My dissertation topic was about the Bristol slave trade between 1720-1750, a time when it was at its peak. It discusses whether the impact of the trade upon the city was as large as is generally believed due to media hype. Therefore, for anyone interested in eighteenth century Bristol, or the impact which the slave trade could have upon a community, then this might be a good read. The mark I got for it was a First class so it must be fairly decent!

Anyways, if anybody is interested in reading it, you can download it as a pdf file from http://www.lulu.com/content/725513 or buy it in paperback. You can also buy it in hardback from http://www.lulu.com/content/733127.

I dont make any money from any sales as the book company do, but i am just posting in case anybody might be interested in reading it!

If anybody has any questions to ask me about the slave trade, I will also try and answer them!

Thanks

Which Uni out of interest?
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Do they?

Yeah. There has been LOADS of stuff in Bristol this spring about the 200th anniversary of the abolition of the slave trade and I was getting a little bored of it.
  • Options
    Birmingham University. And in reply to Thunderstruck, you may be glad to know that my dissertation focuses on the fact that too much is made of the slave trade, and that it is not as important as many would lead you to believe.
  • Options
    Yeah. There has been LOADS of stuff in Bristol this spring about the 200th anniversary of the abolition of the slave trade and I was getting a little bored of it.

What he said. They just went on and on and on. Total overkill.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster

Yet again, I must have been living in my little bubble! :blush:
  • Options
    I was in bristol today
  • Options
    Given how miserable life in Bristol is, it's no wonder they're all yacking nineteen to the dozen about the slave trade. I've visited Bristol twice now, and I still find the place utterly depressing.
  • Options
    Bristol is a huge place so i think thats a little unfair to say really.
    Anyway yes i am sick of hearing about it too and the fact the new complex in town can't be called merchants quarters because of the slave trade i think is a little ridiculous!
  • Options

Ah Ok... My ignorance must come from not owning a TV.
  • Options

Conclusive proof TV is educational?
  • Options

Nor do I (but I have been living in Brizzle)

Even some of the place names in Bristol are evocative of the ST - Whiteladies Road (where the white ladies went to buy their slaves) at the top of which is... Black Boy Hill (no kidding). Plus Bristol Uni is founded on money from tabacco.