Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

There are no such things as friends in my life

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:crying: I don't have any friends in my life. Im always there for them, they are never there for me. That is not what a friend is. I arranged to go out with a couple of people this weekend (a 'friend' and her boyfriend and his friend) many months ago for a trip to london. This obviously involved buying train tickets. I bought the tickets for everyone (with them paying me back the day we were meant to go). Then today they say they now can't make it as the one with the boyfriend says he has just passes his driving test, so they'd rather spend it driving around the place this weekend.

I wouldn't have minded if they didn't ask me to get the tickets for them or if they had cancelled weeks back. But they didn't. They'd rather be with their boyfriend who they always moan to me and ask advice on what to do to drive aimlessly around the place than go to where they had arranged to go with me for the day. After all the help i have given them and advice and always being there for them.

So i have no friends, no one is ever there for me, everyone just lets me down and no one says sorry. Im giving up arranging things or talking to people now, same with doing them favours and being nice and helping them out, whats the point when tno one is a friend back. Im better off alone, at least then i know its only myself i have to rely on, seeing as no one else can be relied on.:crying:

Comments

• Options
    Get the money back off them now.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Don't feel sorry for yourself and give them some grief for it. Tell them straight and get your cash back.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Friends are overrated ;)

Nothing wrong with being alone just try not to allow it to overcome you. If you put yourself out there a bit you might find you get something good out of life. As everyone knows, living is like having a lottery ticket, some days you the jackpot winner and others you're the loser. At least cash in your ticket and try dude!!

Failing that just be sad and bitter and make others the same :p
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Don't feel sorry for yourself and give them some grief for it. Tell them straight and get your cash back.
    :yes:.
  • Options
    Get some new friends.

Not that you should ditch the old ones, but expanding your social circle is a good idea. It'll make you less "available" for the friends you've got at the moment, and they might take you less for granted.

I'm dead soft too and don't like hassling people for money they owe me or that, but it's best you get it back from them because that is cheeky as fuck.
  • Options
    Doesn't matter, i cancelled the tickets so the money isn't a problem. Just annoys me how i give so much and they (everyone) always tell me how they feel so guilty for some of the things i do for them and then don't do anything back for me. Hell, going out this weekend wasn't even doing anything for me, it was just going somewhere to have some fun.

Growing your circle of friends is hard, when you realise most people are totally selfish, lazy and like the last person you met...or exactly like yourself, and its bad enough being around yourself 24/7 let alone someone else too.
  • Options
    NeoNero, I worry about you. It's about time you looked in the mirror. Why? Because you remind me so much of what I was like in the "bad old days". Having seen your past threads, there's far too much self-pitying and self-loathing going on. Your last comment, "it's bad enough bring around yourself 24/7, let alone someone else too" sums it all up. I have only some idea why you dislike yourself, but what I am certain about is, it sure as hell isn't healthy. I do speak from experience on this. Just take a look back at my threads from around 2004, if you want proof. I was in the same situation as you. However, slowly but surely, I did a lot of ground work. It's paying off now. Nowadays, I'm relatively popular amongst those I know, and couldn't care less about those that don't like me. It's made me a hell of a lot stronger and better.

Neither is it healthy to approach people thinking they're all "selfish, lazy and like the last person you met". No wonder you have trouble making friends. Nobody wants to be around someone who's completely cynical about other people. I sure as hell wouldn't want to befriend someone who considered me lazy and useless. Now, don't get me wrong - I've had my share of crap friends. There were loads of the buggers, who I've lost touch with along the way. Whilst no one is saying you should trust anyone and anything, you've got to give it a chance, no matter if you've been hurt before. Your incredibly negative view of human nature is a serious obstacle which needs to be dealt with.
  • Options
    Dont rely on other people to have fun and enjoy yourself.Find something you can do on your own that you enjoy,like yoga or learning an instrument or getting fit.You`ve just gotta do SOMETHING.
    I used to be exactly like you too,sitting around full of self pity and hating myself and everyone else who I always got ditched for.Eventually you have to realise that you need to stand up for yourself and let people know when your not happy.If you set boundaries for yourself about what you will and wont tolerate from people you`ll start to feel better and stronger and people will begin to give you more respect.Self pity and feeling sorry for yourself will do you no good and will put people off wanting to get to know you.
    As for meeting new people you need to approach them not to try and make friends right away just to talk and see if you want to get to know them more.I talk to loads of people and the ones Im not keen on or bring me down I try to avoid.
  • Options
    The Leaf wrote: »
    Dont rely on other people to have fun and enjoy yourself.Find something you can do on your own that you enjoy,like yoga or learning an instrument or getting fit.

Rubberskin took up cruising! :p

Seriously though, that is a great idea. You will, sooner or later, meet up with like-minded people and have a friendship based on genuine shared interests rather than superficial types who treat others with little respect.
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »

Exactly.

And then go find some mates who won't take advantage of your niceness.
  • Options
    NeoNero wrote: »
    :crying: I don't have any friends in my life. Im always there for them, they are never there for me. That is not what a friend is. I arranged to go out with a couple of people this weekend (a 'friend' and her boyfriend and his friend) many months ago for a trip to london. This obviously involved buying train tickets. I bought the tickets for everyone (with them paying me back the day we were meant to go). Then today they say they now can't make it as the one with the boyfriend says he has just passes his driving test, so they'd rather spend it driving around the place this weekend.

I wouldn't have minded if they didn't ask me to get the tickets for them or if they had cancelled weeks back. But they didn't. They'd rather be with their boyfriend who they always moan to me and ask advice on what to do to drive aimlessly around the place than go to where they had arranged to go with me for the day. After all the help i have given them and advice and always being there for them.

So i have no friends, no one is ever there for me, everyone just lets me down and no one says sorry. Im giving up arranging things or talking to people now, same with doing them favours and being nice and helping them out, whats the point when tno one is a friend back. Im better off alone, at least then i know its only myself i have to rely on, seeing as no one else can be relied on.:crying:
    Just based on this anecdote alone I wouldn't say you don't have friends. Your story happens everywhere and it's just down to the fact that people are crap about committing to events ages in advance and are more up for doing things last minute based on how they feel. If you tell them you paid for tickets it's only reasonable for them to pay you though.
  • Options
    I know just how you feel - i only have one or two people in my life who i'd count as TRUE friends - ie, don't always let me down in the sort of way you've described, and sometimes they call me rather than me always being the one to keep in touch!
    Whenever i stop and think about it, which i try not to do too often, it really bothers me. And it's not so easy to expand a social circle i don't think - some people seem to be good at picking up mates in pubs, i'm not a pub/club person and i find it very hard to meet people... my major interests don't seem to be good meeting grounds, for example choral singing (entirely populated by the over 60's, nothing wrong with that but i'd so love to have a female friend my own age who doesn't live 100 miles away!) and horse riding where learner adults are few and far between.
    It might also be that you are more sensitive than average to these "rejections" - other people might not give it a second thought, and thus don't realise how upsetting it is for you. I'd love to be proved wrong, but i do believe that sensitive and thoughtful people are in the minority in this world, and those of us who are more sensitive have to find a way of making peace with that without feeling either persecuted or superior!