Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Using two condoms?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, I've been around here for a while but haven't actually posted much before as I'm not allowed on the net much.
Anyway, my boyfriend and I have had sex five times now (we're both 16 and have been going out for 7 months), and last time, he suggested we use two condoms just to be extra-safe, as I'm a natural worrier about pregnancy etc even though it has been fine the other four times. We were also having a few problems with how quickly he comes, and with two on he lasted a lot longer which was good for me :) But a friend said that wearing two is stupid and increases the risk of one or both splitting, and I had no idea whether she was right or not... I've tried searching for threads on here about it but couldn't find any so I thought I'd ask. Any help is greatly appreciated! :blush: Another thing I was wondering was that we use durex extra-safe anyway, so exactly how much more effective are they than the normal ones, and is it worth the extra money to use two each time? I'm starting to think it's fine with one but I'd like to know the truth!

Thanks
Charlie x

Comments

• Options
    using twwo condoms causes friction between the two layers and will more than often cause splits
  • Options
    i thought it might be something to do with that. Thanks :)
  • Options
    NO NO NO do NOT use 2 condoms at the same time! This increases the chances of them splitting.

I don't think Extra Safe increase the general effectiveness of condoms overall, I think they're slightly thicker than the other brands though?

You have many other contraceptive options along with condoms, maybe it's an option for you to double dutch e.g. condom + pill, condom + IUD ?

Have a look here
  • Options
    if he's coming too quick, then get those ones that desensitise you (they've got a numbing thing on them i think). Statistically, even if he came in you without a condom and you didnt use emergency contraception, you wouldn't get pregnant. But it's still always best to be on the safe side.
  • Options
    FYI, its normally a good idea to read the leaflet when using something like a condom, which needs correct usage for it to be any more use than a crisp packet and a laccy band.

No, don't use two condoms.
  • Options
    I've always found the extra safe ones split easier than the others, never quite understood it. But the only 2 times I've had a condom split it's been with them.

But as everyone's said...never ever use 2 condoms at once.
  • Options
    I came on here to ask a similar question actually,

OK so dont use 2 condoms at once but surely the impact when he comes will split the condom (my boyfriend comes very quickly!) , besides its only thin rubber im not sure if i can trust that :confused:
  • Options
    "The impact"? He won't come that quickly.

If he has put the condom on correctly, being sure to squeeze all the air out of the teat when rolling it on, then it shouldn't split when he comes. If there is air in the teat when he comes then there is a far higher risk of tearing the condom.

They make extra strong condoms for anal sex.
  • Options
    i would say that i have to suggest if you want to have safe sex without the worry of getting pregnant, one of my first girlfriends used the coil, which was indeeed very effective and safer, we never had to worry about pregnancy, as she didnt want any children for those first few years of our relationship.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    if he's coming too quick, then get those ones that desensitise you (they've got a numbing thing on them i think).

Do this. We use the Durex Performa ones sometimes, and they DO work. Sometimes a little too well, but they're very good in general. And we have found that they actually desensitise it for a long time, so you can use other kinds of condom after and he'll still last AGES (this was a very fun discovery...).
  • Options
    lonewolf12 wrote: »
    i would say that i have to suggest if you want to have safe sex without the worry of getting pregnant, one of my first girlfriends used the coil, which was indeeed very effective and safer, we never had to worry about pregnancy
    But it won't protect against any kind of STD though! As someone has said, you could double up with two different methods of contraception, such as the coil AND a condom.

As for him coming quickly, my boyfriend finds that cock rings definitely do the trick. He goes forever. Probably a little too much info, but hey, I'm never gonna meet yous peeps am I?
  • Options
    jenni30 wrote: »
    OK so dont use 2 condoms at once but surely the impact when he comes will split the condom (my boyfriend comes very quickly!) , besides its only thin rubber im not sure if i can trust that :confused:

Seriously think about what you are asking there.

Do you think that the manufacturers would make a product, which sells so well and is so highly recommended as contraception, if it could break that easily.

Please that isn't intended to sound patronising but sometimes people's emotional barriers lead to them not thinking straight.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I found at least ten works best (to make you look that bit bigger) :D
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    I found at least ten works best (to make you look that bit bigger) :D

Figures. Some of us a big enough already :p
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Figures. Some of us a big enough already :p

We're not talking about the head on neck mate. :p
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    This thread is ancient ya know guys. :p
  • Options
    Wearing two condoms is wasteful, pointless and possibly dangerous. Wasteful, because you don't need to wear two at once. Pointless, because it gives you no extra protection. Possibly dangerous, because it increases the risk of the condoms splitting.
    Kazbo wrote: »
    This thread is ancient ya know guys. :p
    Does that matter? Condoms are still being used here in 2007, aren't they? :p
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Does that matter? Condoms are still being used here in 2007, aren't they? :p

But I think 2 years on the OP will have taken head and won't be thinking anything so stupid. It wasn't someone wanting the answer that brought it back up. Whats the need to continue answering when it's been fully answered previously? Just my opinion...there's far more relative posts that are closed for being brought up younger than this one.