Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

exercise question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've read a couple different opinions on this. Is it better to do say, 3 sets of 20 pressups with like 20sec breaks in between, or 3 sets of however many you can manage (until you cant do another single pressup) and leave gaps of 3mins or however long it takes to get some energy back to do more.

Also not just for pressups, anything like that!

Comments

• Options
    With my own sets, I do about 8 - 10 reps (I'm doing Hypertrophy Specific Training at the moment, so it's 10 for me) and rest for at least a minute in between.

What are your goals? Are you trying to increase muscle? Increase endurance?
  • Options
    both I guess, i thought endurance came naturally from exercising more though?

just an additional thing, is it better to breath in when exerting effort or when you're in a relaxed position?
  • Options
    For those wanting more info about HST:

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html
  • Options
    muse- wrote: »
    both I guess, i thought endurance came naturally from exercising more though?

just an additional thing, is it better to breath in when exerting effort or when you're in a relaxed position?

Always breathe out when exerting the main effort when lifting.
  • Options
    heh after looking at the pic at the top of that page I really dont wanta know more :p

dunno why ppl wanta look like that :x
  • Options
    Well from what I've been told, people tend to work around the 8 - 12 reps mark if they want to gain mass and 12 - 15 reps for endurance, something along those lines. Or 50 reps if you're up for the 300 workout :D
  • Options
    kk cheers.

50 is a no no for now, i think i could manage 30 pressup reps but my arms would probly stop working for the next hour :D

i ll try 2-3 sets of 20 and see how it goes!