Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Excercise Newbie

Right. I would post this in the gym rats thread as the guys in there seem helpful, but as you will see, I'm as far as one can be from being a gym rat right now! Basically I'm overweight by quite a lot and always have been, and am horribly unfit alongside this. I've bucked up my eating habits a lot recently, eating smaller portions more often instead of 3 square meals, only eating when hungry and drinking lots more water, stuff like that. I'm determined to make a lifestyle change, not a quick fix for weight loss because I know this isn't going to happen overnight, it will take time and effort which I'm willing to put in.

In this grand plan of mine I figure I need to do some excercise both to improve my fitness and aid in my weight loss aim, but I've no idea where to start. I walk home from work every day (just over a mile) and sometimes to work as well when I have time, but other than that I do very little and I've no idea where to start. Swimming isn't really an option as I feel really uncomfortable doing it but I'm open to suggestion for other things I can do to improve my level of fitness and aid in my weight loss aim. I'm a bit poor right now, so take that into consideration too if you will folks :)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would post this in the gym rats thread as the guys in there seem helpful, but as you will see, I'm as far as one can be from being a gym rat right now!

Teehee, give it a few months ;)

Right, what sort of exercise do you feel open to and comfortable doing? (I don't want to make this sound like a rude question, but how overweight are we talking? Only because some people who are starting out find it physically painful to do some forms of exercise, and start off with things like a trampette and build up from that).

In terms of weight loss, diet will always have the biggest impact, followed by lifting weights, as building muscle will raise your metabolic rate, help to mobilise fat stores, and takes up far less space than fat, so will help you to become leaner. If you're not planning or not keen on joining a gym, there are ways to do weights without leaving the house (Argos have a good deal on dumbbells at the moment, these might be a good start if you're starting out).

Other advice from me would be to keep a food log (it doesn't have to be obsessive to the last crumb, but it can help you to get a better idea of what goes in), steer clear of scales and use a tape measure instead, take pictures of yourself either once or twice a week to see your progress and just have fun discovering what you like :)
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    Teehee, give it a few months ;)

Right, what sort of exercise do you feel open to and comfortable doing? (I don't want to make this sound like a rude question, but how overweight are we talking? Only because some people who are starting out find it physically painful to do some forms of exercise, and start off with things like a trampette and build up from that).

In terms of weight loss, diet will always have the biggest impact, followed by lifting weights, as building muscle will raise your metabolic rate, help to mobilise fat stores, and takes up far less space than fat, so will help you to become leaner. If you're not planning or not keen on joining a gym, there are ways to do weights without leaving the house (Argos have a good deal on dumbbells at the moment, these might be a good start if you're starting out).

Other advice from me would be to keep a food log (it doesn't have to be obsessive to the last crumb, but it can help you to get a better idea of what goes in), steer clear of scales and use a tape measure instead, take pictures of yourself either once or twice a week to see your progress and just have fun discovering what you like :)

Well I am quite overweight, and its more a case of needing to lose a few stones rather than a few pounds if that gives you some indication. I would consider joining a gym in the future, but currently I'm worried enough about my rent/bills without adding gym fees on top of that! If I was to get weight like the ones you posted there (and this might sound like a really silly question!) but what would I do with them?
  • Options
    Lots of things! The Exercise and Muscle Directory has many demonstrations of what you can do with dumbbells (click on the exercises part on the left column, and it will list what you can do with different pieces of apparatus). A walking lunge for example, is great for your legs and arse.

I'd also recommend you take a look at a place like Stumptuous as her info on weightlifting and food really changed my approach to fitness and nutrition, and my body shape has changed quite a bit from when I started in Jan.