Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Please help!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I missed the 'one-before-last' pill in my packet - I didn't take it AT ALL (some instructions on the internet say I should have taken the one I missed as soon as I notice,d but I didn't until the next day, after I'd taken the one for the right day, so that seemed ridiculous - I think it only meant if you notice on the same day.

So I didn't take it AT ALL and then I took the last one of my pack and I'm on the furst day of my break. Me and my boyfriend had unprotected sex, as it said you didn't need to use an extra method if you only missed one pill, but I missed it completely, so am I ok?

Sorry guys! :banghead:

Comments

• Options
    Missing one in a pack is fine, as long as you took the others correctly. Don't worry, pet; very slim risk of any babies jumping out!
  • Options
    It really does depend on what type of pill you are taking, and I wouldn't be advising that you are safe. You should be OK, but you might not. We were caught out like that, and ended up with a miscarriage.

When did you have unprotected sex? More than about 48 hours ago and its not worth taking the MAP, so you'll just have to hope really.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi ya,
    Do you take the combined pill? If you're not sure, popular brands are: Microgynon 30_Tab®; Eugynon 30®; Trinordiol®; BiNovum®; Cilest®; Loestrin 30â; Noriminâ; Ovysmenâ; Synphaseâ; and TriNovumâ

If yes, then generally, if you miss a pill then ideally you should take it when you remember (as you've already realised). However, if you miss it completely then usually missing one pill in the packet is not going to mean you'll get pregnant so long as you have taken the rest of the packet correctly. For more info on missing the combined pill read TheSite's FAQ

Missing the mini-pill on the other hand (the progestrogen only pill) is usually more risky.

I hope this helps, but try not to panic - I think you'll be fine, but as Kermit says we can't say for absolutely sure. Remember next time you miss a pill to use contraception for at least a few days while you get back into the swing of taking your pills

If you feel that you need to hear an expert tell you - over the phone for example - you can speak to someone on the fpa helpline Monday to Friday 9-6pm - 0845 122 8690.

Take care. ;)
  • Options
    The other thing to bear in mind is that not quite taking the whole packet isn't a problem, say if you took 19 or 20 days consequetively rather than the full 21. Thats what you end up doing if you lose one and take one from the end of the month instead.

I'd be tempted to count the day before you missed it as the last day of that packet, have the 7 day break (even though you've taken 1 pill in it) and start the next packet 2 days earlier than you would have done. That way everything should be hunky dory.
  • Options
    I'm on Cilest, so yes, it's combined.

It's too late for me to do the 'start-the-break-now' thing, but i have practically done it, apart form taking one extra pill!!

My period is due on Thursday/Fri morning, and now I feel quite sick with panic.
  • Options
    I could try and get an IUD fitted tomorrow. You can have them done up to 5 days after?
  • Options
    You can, but to be honest i doubt they will do it as you're still very low risk.

However, it might be worth you looking into a longer term, more effective method of contraception? Most women go onto the pill very young and don't reassess whether it's the best form for them for years afterwards, even though it might not be the most convenient for them due to their lifestyle, etc.
  • Options
    If you've done the start the break now thing, apart from the extra pill then I wouldn't worry. Just remember to start the next packet suitably early.

Ring fpa if you need your mind putting to rest.

xx
  • Options
    Ive always been told that if I miss a pill, to a) take it as soon as I realise... but b) to start the next packet when I finished that one, i.e. run the two packets together and to not have a break at all