Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

the so called mini-pill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
heya everyone,

my girlfriend has just been put on the minipill by the doctor because her blood pressure was a bit too high to stay on microgynon and she's not a happy bunny about it. she seems to think that its not going to work properly and that the minipill is a big bag of wank.

i was wondering if any of you guys, the lovely ladies among us especially, could tell me a bit more about it because the little booklet that came with it was shit,lol, and what experiences you had (if any) whilst taking it.

muchos gracias

Comments

• Options
    :)
    sprocket wrote: »

i was wondering if any of you guys, the lovely ladies among us especially, could tell me a bit more about it because the little booklet that came with it was shit,lol, and what experiences you had (if any) whilst taking it.

muchos gracias

firstly i agree with you the leaflet i got with mine just made me so confused and very rubbish. however i recently got put on it(mini pill) and for me it messed up my whole cycle, cause for me it has stopped it which i didn notice anything in the leaflet about it sppose to do this, i had to do my own research and ask people on the discussion boards on askthesite:thumb: (http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleID=433) but as you probably know everyone is different so your gf may find that there is no change in terms of her monthly cycle, other than that i would say it is just the same than the combined, only with the one i am on you dont take a break which for me is easier becase i always use to forget what days i was meant to start a new pack etc. lol. hope the link i pasted is helpfl, it contains lots of info.
  • Options
    lucky88 wrote: »
    :)

firstly i agree with you the leaflet i got with mine just made me so confused and very rubbish. however i recently got put on it(mini pill) and for me it messed up my whole cycle, cause for me it has stopped it which i didn notice anything in the leaflet about it sppose to do this, i had to do my own research and ask people on the discussion boards on askthesite:thumb: (http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleID=433) but as you probably know everyone is different so your gf may find that there is no change in terms of her monthly cycle, other than that i would say it is just the same than the combined, only with the one i am on you dont take a break which for me is easier becase i always use to forget what days i was meant to start a new pack etc. lol. hope the link i pasted is helpfl, it contains lots of info.

thanks for that. i hope it doesn't fuck with her cycle too much as its taken her doctor nearly 3 years to find that microgynon was the best one to regulate her. before then, all the other pills she was put on gave her random periods and she sometimes had 2 quite close together. but alas, as i said before, her blood pressure is too high for her to stay on micrgynon at the moment and so we're trying the minipill. i've told her not to stress about it and give it a go but i dunno if she'll listen to me about the not stressing,lol
  • Options
    Which one is she on? I ask because Cerazette is slightly different to most of the rest.

I was put onto the mini pill (Cerazette) because it looked like I might be starting to get migraines on the combined pill. It can screw up your cycle, it can have no affect, the only way to find out is to try it and see. Some of them have less flexibilty on when you take it, some others, like Cerazette give you the same 12 hour window as the combined pill.

If she's really not happy with it then maybe she should consider the alternatives, like patches, the coil or the injection.

Are there any clues as to why her blood pressure is high? Does she smoke? Generally the reasons for not getting the combined pill are a combination of risk factors, so if she's over weight or smokes and can get either of them down then she may be able to get back on it.
  • Options
    Which one is she on? I ask because Cerazette is slightly different to most of the rest.

I was put onto the mini pill (Cerazette) because it looked like I might be starting to get migraines on the combined pill. It can screw up your cycle, it can have no affect, the only way to find out is to try it and see. Some of them have less flexibilty on when you take it, some others, like Cerazette give you the same 12 hour window as the combined pill.

If she's really not happy with it then maybe she should consider the alternatives, like patches, the coil or the injection.

Are there any clues as to why her blood pressure is high? Does she smoke? Generally the reasons for not getting the combined pill are a combination of risk factors, so if she's over weight or smokes and can get either of them down then she may be able to get back on it.

i believe it is cerazette that she's on and i think i've convinced her to give it a go and to try and be positive about it. as for her blood pressure i think its stress related as she absolutely despises smoking and she's not overweight at all. basically, around the time of her last doctors appointment it was right in the middle of our 3rd year exams in uni which she was stressed about and also going to the doctors in general stresses her out. i think the doctor has put her on the mini to try it over the summer then when we get back, she's going to be given a portable BP monitor to take home with her to see if it is the act of going to see the doctor that is causing the high blood pressure or not
  • Options
    Sounds like a reasonable plan.

Cerazette also stops periods completely in some people, which she may like.

If she's vaguely happy then it's probably worth giving it a shot, Cerazette is a new (ish) mini pill and they've got rid of most of the draw backs that used to apply to the mini pill with it.

If she's not happy with it over the summer then she can see a GP at home, you get what's called a temporary registration, and you can do it for routine stuff as well as emergency.
  • Options
    you could have the snip, then she wouldn't have to take synthetic hormones at all.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    you could have the snip, then she wouldn't have to take synthetic hormones at all.

and what if they plan to have kids later in life?
  • Options
    I've just been put on cerazette - i started yesterday so I can't say yet because i don't know what it's going to do. One of my friends is on it and she had a couple of periods at first but now hasn't had one for a year. It completely depends.
  • Options
    I went from Microgynon to Cerazette and had no real problems at all, my periods got a bit irregular which bothered me at first, and I turned into a wino (unrelated issue, but relevant!) and couldn't remember to take them :D
  • Options
    Tweety wrote: »
    and what if they plan to have kids later in life?

he'd be a bit out of luck. He doesn't say whether he does or doesn't ever want kids so, it's a valid suggestion.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »

um, no i don't think so