Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

insects are back

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Summer must be upon us because I can't leave my bedroom window opened anymore without being invaded by daddy Long Legs - do moths have a season cos I guess they'll be arriving soon?

BTW where do these things come from anyway? And what attracts them - heat from my room or just the light?

Comments

• Options
    My other house literally, got invaded by greenfly before I left! I'm talking carpet loads. The kitchen sides littered with the little sods and then came the spiders!, they had a field day!
  • Options
    Moths are attracted by the light, Daddy Long Legs are just bastards and do it to annoy us :grump:
  • Options
    I love the summer (hot weather) but hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate insects, I have to check my room before I go to bed cos they really scare me. I know they are only little but they give me a right panic attack, proper shit me up. Stupid I know.
    It's the only bad thing about the hot weather is the increase of bugs
  • Options
    Daddy long legs are back? I must never leave the house or open a door/window from now :lol:
  • Options
    Moths are attracted by the light, Daddy Long Legs are just bastards and do it to annoy us :grump@

A moth flew into the bath just as I was about to get in it last night :nervous:
  • Options
    insects are cool :cool:
  • Options
    We've got all the windows n doors open today, and we've been invaded by fruit flies. Hundreds of them, and the odd mosquito too - pond in the garden doesn't help with that.

I absolutely dread the summer months when it comes to bugs - I have Ivy all around my bedroom window so it's bug-heaven (or hell!).
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Daddy Long Legs don't generally come out till the autumn?

They should still be Leather Jackets at the moment.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I've only seen one, but I thought it was a bit early. Lots of moths though.

Leather Jackets live in the grass don't they? Maybe all the rain kind of flushed them out!
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I got bitten by something a couple of weeks back. I was less than impressed :| It hurt and was all pus-y and things. Nice :yeees:
  • Options
    Just be glad you don't have the 17 year cicadas out your way :\ Even loud music in my loud car won't drown out the noises in alot of places.
  • Options
    my_name wrote: »
    Just be glad you don't have the 17 year cicadas out your way :\ Even loud music in my loud car won't drown out the noises in alot of places.

I loved the sound of cicardas when I lived in France. Really freaky when you spot one... they're massive but so well disguised on the trees...

I'm not really bothered by insects... it's spiders that creep me out.
  • Options
    i had a massive daddy long legs in my room the other night :(
  • Options
    got bitten by a mosquito last night - my ankle was itchy went to scratch and felt a bump rolled under my fingers, looked down and I'd crushed the little sucker - still itches though today - reaction they're coming from my neighbour's pond since they breed in still water.
  • Options
    I never used to get bitten by buggy things until I went to Canada a couple of weeks back - got bitten 4 times in the space of 2 days on one leg... itched like hell!

Then yesterday I got bitten by something on my back right next to my spine - came up in a nice lump but no itching... strange

Apparently the daddylongleg typed things that come out around now are actually may fly's... dll season is later in the year :)
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    They should still be Leather Jackets at the moment.

What the fuck are they? Don't like the sound of them.

I'm just glad Maybug season is over.
    But I fucking hate all the insects, I never leave my bedroom window open at night, can't stand insects!
  • Options
    I hate the bastards. I used to always get bitten on my arse as I sleep on top of the covers in summer. So glad my cat is about now though- he's just in his element now that he can stalk and eat everything that moves so my summer is saved!

Also, Ikea are doing some really good bug screens and nets for cheap