Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Meat

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is probably a really stupid question.

But why can you not put a fresh chicken (not cooked) in a carrier bag with say, some sliced chicken thats been bought at the deli part of the supermarket?

Is it because its raw meat and cooked meat? what happens if they get into contact with each other?

:confused:

Comments

• Options
    the germies or bacteria on the uncooked meat get onto the cooked meat, you then eat the cooked meat without cooking it and get the germies from the uncooked meat in your body- bad news. The uncooked meat would be fine- as long as you cooked it as usual.
  • Options
    i presume you mean to carry your shopping home from the supermarket?

the packaging on the un cooked meat may have had other meat leaked on it if some packaging has been pierced or damaged near it and could fi9nd its way into your cooked meat if the deli didnt seal it up properly.

for the sake of a carrier bag its not worth the risk of horrid food poisening. raw chicken is one of the worst. You can eay beef or lamb, cooked very rare-chicken has to ALWAYS be thoroughly cooked- so that tells you something!
  • Options
    cross- contamination. the uncooked juices from your uncooked chicken may come into contact with your cooked chicken.
  • Options
    oh.

just because this woman had a go at my friend today (i work in a supermarket) for putting those two things together in a carrier bag and neither of us could work out why she was so annoyed. ha. i never pack peoples meat when they ask for help packing cos people are fussy i tend to do easy stuff like tins. cant go wrong there.