Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Dating scan

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Dont know if it should go in here, but....

I went for my dating scan today, thought baby was 12 weeks but baby's only 10 weeks!!! Baby was moving around, arms and legs moving around and the snogropher (sp) really struggled to get measurements and a decent pic cos it was jumping around!!!

Me and my fella really wanted to tell our friends and other family members, as we thought we'd be 3 months. Do you think we'd be ok to tell people?? weve seen the baby and everything seems okay. My sis says tell people cos the baby was active and moving around, I just dont wanna jinx it!:)

Comments

• Options
    I don't see why not because you've had your first scan now and the Doc says everything seems well. Congrats :)
  • Options
    Congratulations-seems like you could as baby seems healthy and well
  • Options
    I don't know because my sister told people and went for her scan and there was no heartbeat hence the baby was not healthy and well but in fact dead. So just think twice, she now has to face everyone to tell people individually what has happened.

Im not saying don't tell people I'm just saying think twice. Mind you saying that anyone could loose their baby 6 months pregnant so you are never 100% safe telling people. Just when you can't hold it in any longer!
  • Options
    I was worried about the heart beat, cos the Dr's didnt test for it, but it was moving around so there must of been a heart beat there!!!
  • Options
    Oh I didn't mean to worry you, sorry. With my sister they couldn't find a heartbeat at her first midwife/doctors appointment but they put that down to the position of the baby then they couldn't see any movement at the scan hence why they checked and looking for a heartbeat and then found that the baby was in fact dead. But no worries, your baby is active and healthy and it's heart is no doubt pumping away.
  • Options
    *Ashlee* wrote: »
    Oh I didn't mean to worry you, sorry. With my sister they couldn't find a heartbeat at her first midwife/doctors appointment but they put that down to the position of the baby then they couldn't see any movement at the scan hence why they checked and looking for a heartbeat and then found that the baby was in fact dead. But no worries, your baby is active and healthy and it's heart is no doubt pumping away.

You did'nt scare me, dont worry;) I was coming home from the hospital I thougt 'they didnt hear the heart' and thought well they could see the baby was fine. Did your sis go for her 12 week scan and find out??
  • Options
    Yeah I no wrote: »
    snogropher (sp)

:D hehe, sorry that made me laugh.

Congratulations though :)
  • Options
    Thanks for all the congratulations!:)
  • Options
    Yeah I no wrote: »
    You did'nt scare me, dont worry;) I was coming home from the hospital I thougt 'they didnt hear the heart' and thought well they could see the baby was fine. Did your sis go for her 12 week scan and find out??

Yep, gutted. But lets not talk about that. This is your celebratory thread so a big congrats to you and your baby.
  • Options
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    *Ashlee* wrote: »
    Yep, gutted. But lets not talk about that. This is your celebratory thread so a big congrats to you and your baby.

Well I'm really sorry about your sister.

Thanks for the congrats! looking forward to seeing for real now, just godda wait another 30 weeks!!
  • Options
    congratulations!!! :D
  • Options
    congratulations!!! :D

Thankyou!!! do you think I'll be ok to tell people cos baby is only 10 weeks???!!
  • Options
    definitely.
    Theres no rule. Tbh, once youve seen a healthy foetus with a heartbeat, then your risk of miscarriage is way reduced anyway. Most miscarriages occur in the first 6 weeks, and then the risk gradually reduces more and more as time goes on.
    If youre still worried, then just tell people who youd want their support if anything (god forbid) did go wrong.
    I told close family and close friends really early, but others I just waited till they noticed.
  • Options
    I had the same experience, went for my 12 week scan to be told I was only 10 weeks. I'd already told everyone by that point anyway cos I was excited and Im rubbish at keeping secrets. Do what you feel comfortable with, oh and congratulations :)
  • Options
    My sis told everyone when she was 4 weeks pregnant because she's crap at keeping secrets and although i was a bit worried at first because of the 12 week risk, she's been fine and is due in 3 weeks..

The only thing is she regrets telling people so soon because its made the pregnancy seem so much longer and everyone keeps asking her when she's due.