Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Who pays vicar's wages?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Need to know this before I go to bed, I was thinking about this when I was bored at work earlier.

So, who pays vicar's wages? Is it the individual church, and where do they get their money from? Surely Mrs Brown doesn't sell enough scones at the Saturday coffee mornings for "church funds" to make all that salary? Surely the government doesn't provide religious funding?

I was thinking it might have been the Church of Scotland, but surely they must get their money from somewhere too?

Help.

Comments

• Options
    I think its the Church of England or Scotland. The Church of England own a lot of assets and property, so are not short of a few quid. Thats my understanding anyway.
  • Options
    The Church.

Usually from the income in the shares they own, including those in the arms industry...
  • Options
    The Church.

Usually from the income in the shares they own, including those in the arms industry...

How Christian of them. How can a "non-profit organisation" own shares?
  • Options
    My church covers it's staff's salaries by renting out its rooms in the week. The building was bought 125 years ago and was pretty cheap at the time and now can be rented out to whoever wants to rent it and that's how they make money.

About 20% of their income is from when people die and leave it to the church in their wills.

Another quite significant part of its income comes from tithing (sp?), when its members regularly give part of their income to the church.
  • Options
    How Christian of them. How can a "non-profit organisation" own shares?

About £900m worth of shares too...

Oh and I stand corrected, apparently they have disinvested from the arms industry...

CofE actually has an asset wealth of about £5bn. Remember that, next time the collection plate comes round or there is a fundraiser for a new church roof...
  • Options
    CofE actually has an asset wealth of about £5bn. Remember that, next time the collection plate comes round or there is a fundraiser for a new church roof...
    Oh don't worry, I'm Catholic all the way. And they're probably much richer.
  • Options

Although my understanding of asset wealth is that the value would include that of the church that needs a new roof, so if the repairs didn't get done the assets would devalue quite quickly.

Generally priests/ministers etc are paid by the church, usually the central organisation bit rather than the parish, although the central bit gets most of it's money from the parish. Not sure about others but Catholic priests get a kind of board lodging and pocket money type deal, so their main living expenses are all paid for and they get a very low wage.
  • Options

Sort of, but 99% of that is moldy old listed buildings that are more expensive to run and maintain than they are really worth.
  • Options
    Prestbyterian's tend to pay for their own moderators (though richer ones tend to help pay the smaller).

I think CofE is the second biggest landowner in England (after the Crown and before Trinity College Cambridge)
  • Options
    The church own loads of land

and technically a lot of people in england are lay rectors who are responsible for the upkeep of the churches, so erm lots a money and not many out goings, kinda good for them
  • Options
    CofE actually has an asset wealth of about £5bn.

Which only means anything if they sell it.

And I don't see them selling the Palace of Westminster to Wimpey Homes any time soon...
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    And I don't see them selling the Palace of Westminster to Wimpey Homes any time soon...

I could see JD Wetherspoons turning it into a nice pub though ;)