Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Period after pill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've just come off the combined pill because the side effects were so bad. However, it took me a while to get an appointment at the doctors. They've put me on cerazette but said i need to wait for my period before i can start it again. I thought i'd started about a week after i stopped because i had really thick discharge that felt like a period and cramps, but no blood. I never had a period while i was on my breaks so i'm a bit concerned on how long it's going to take to come back because i need to go back on. Does anyone have an idea of how long it can take? Should i go back if it doesn't turn up in another month?

Comments

• Options
    I'd give it a month to 6 weeks before thinking about going back. Things can take a while to wriggle their way back to normal after coming off the pill.

One of the reasons (I suspect) that they want you to wait until you've had your period is that Cerazette can do all sorts of funny things, from spotting to continual bleeding to stopping periods altogether (that's the most common) but with that in mind they probably want a 'normal' one as a reference point.
  • Options
    Not sure if it might be different for you since you didn't have any periods when you were on your breaks, but after coming off the combined pill it was about 4 months before I had a period again, and about 6 months before they started to come back regularly. But it is different for every person, some women get theirs after a few weeks. If you are worried about it you could go back after a month or so though :yes: