Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Question about cuts

I post on a few self injury websites and a few times have asked for advice relating to cuts.

Anyway, a few times when I've done this, I've been told not to let them dry out. However, a few years ago, my dad told me that I shouldn't keep cuts covered because they go wet and weep.

My question is, whose right?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Here's the NHS direct advice on dealing with cuts

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=2&sectionId=7775

and our page on minimising damage

Both seem to suggest that what you should do is clean any cut, pat them dry and then cover with a sterile non-stick dressing (and for anyone who notices, yup, I'm aware our advice seems to be out of date on antiseptic use and will mention it to our journalists on monday).
  • Options
    i'd say both in moderation really, when the cuts are still fresh and open then keep them covered to stop any bacteria entering them and causing an infection, then once they start to heal and scab let them breath. cass :O) xx
  • Options
    If they are still bleeding I tend to cover them, when they have stopped I uncover them.

I like to use really strong antiseptic but this isn't recommended anymore as Jim pointed out but I like the feel of it when it stings so I still use it.

If I'm trying to make the cuts heal faster I keep the skin well moisturised, e.g. I use cocoa butter two or three times a day.
  • Options
    Thank you.

Jim - I do what you suggested.
  • Options
    keep it clean. apply pure allovera - it tightens them and helps healing. don't cover. - found from experience it is the best way esp. of the cuts are deep and you want to reduce any potential scaring.
  • Options
    Do you have neosporin? That stuff is from god itself. Any other antibiotic ointment will do fine, I'm just biased. A triple antibiotic ointment, really. I find they help the healing process and minimize the scarring effect. It keeps it clean and moisturized.

I'd reccomend it to anybody.

Like windex is the do all in big fat greek wedding, neosporin is my do all :yes:
  • Options
    my_name wrote: »
    Do you have neosporin? That stuff is from god itself. Any other antibiotic ointment will do fine, I'm just biased. A triple antibiotic ointment, really. I find they help the healing process and minimize the scarring effect. It keeps it clean and moisturized.

I'd reccomend it to anybody.

Like windex is the do all in big fat greek wedding, neosporin is my do all :yes:

No, but that does sound very similar to antiseptic cream.