Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

finishing college

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hello everyone
gonna try keep this as short as possible, basically i am finishing college next month and i work part time its like only 5 hours a day its jus for the days i do not go to college basically. my question to everyone is will i be intitiled 2 any finical help once i leave college cause i am going to find it extremely hard especially cause i get ema. any advice? i am 18 by the way jus in case that makes a difference to the help i can get.

Comments

• Options
    How many hours will you be working when you finish college?

Anything less than 16 hours and you can claim Jobseeker's Allowance. Any more than that and you're not entitled.

What are your living arrangements? Are you living with parents or have you moved out?
  • Options
    How many hours will you be working when you finish college?

Anything less than 16 hours and you can claim Jobseeker's Allowance. Any more than that and you're not entitled.

What are your living arrangements? Are you living with parents or have you moved out?

i am hoping to start full time which will be ok n i would be ok fiancially however if i dont get full time it will be the same as i do now like 5 hours a day, and yes i live at home with my mum still. do you know how much job seekers allownce is?
  • Options
    lucky88 wrote: »
    do you know how much job seekers allownce is?

For 18- 24 year olds it is £46.85 per week.

ETA: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Bfsl1/BenefitsAndFinancialSupport/DG_10018757
  • Options
    If you're working less than 16 hours you can still claim, but they knock off whatever you're earning from what you'd get for JSA... if that makes sense. They still pay your NI though.
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote: »
    If you're working less than 16 hours you can still claim, but they knock off whatever you're earning from what you'd get for JSA... if that makes sense.
    :yes: there could be other benefits you can claim as well as JSA. you will need to look into it. a good place to start is
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Bfsl1/BenefitsAndFinancialSupport/index.htm