Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Reducing the redness of sunburn

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Every year I say I won't do it and then every year I do... :banghead:

A couple of hours in the garden (with SPF15, I might add!) yesterday has left me rather pink. I usually go pink, and then brown, but I was just wondering if anyone knew of a way to get rid of the redness quicker - not to bring on the tan, just so that I don't look so shocking! I've been using Boots Soltan AfterSun spray and Simple AfterSun Cooling Gel (left over from last summer), but they don't seem to be taking the redness away.. Any ideas anyone? :yeees:

Comments

• Options
    prevention is probably the cure.

use after sun.

And use a higher factor suncream
  • Options
    It's a bit late for "prevention"..
  • Options
    It's a bit late for "prevention"..
    Blah wrote:
    use after sun.

And use a higher factor suncream

this will stop it getting worse
  • Options
    I only use spf 30 or above, even then sometimes i still burn a little!
  • Options
    Just for info...

For example if your skin burns at 10 minutes without protection... a SPF of 15 will increase this by 15 times...i.e. 15 x 10mins =150mins = 2 1/2 hours
  • Options
    Burning at all is not a good idea but try Aloe Vera to reduce the redness.
  • Options
    Thanks for all your replies. I lathered myself in Witch Hazel gel last night (made my skin really tight!) and the redness on my legs has gone down a bit, but my chest and shoulders are still a bit tingly! Will just keep perserving with the aftersun then..
  • Options
    Try and get pure aloe vera oil or gel from a holland and barretts or similar style health fodo store/pharmacist. If push comes to shove by a bottle of aloe vera capsules. Take a pair of suitable small scisoors to prick the capsules with and squeeze out oild directly onto skin. Should help matters. But obviously, using spf 30 as was suggested, or what about total sunblock as another option at least on susceptible, sensitive areas might be the way to go next time your catching the sun? If you're trying to get a tan it's better to do it by degrees.
  • Options
    I'm going to pay a visit to the local chemist at lunch time.
    I wasn't trying to get a tan - I was sitting in the garden, testing the effectiveness of my new eye drops for hayfever actually! They worked, even if the SPF15 I was using didn't! :roll eyes:
  • Options
    Am back from the chemist.. armed with Aloe Vera Gel! :D Have lathered my chest and shoulders in it and am sat right in front of a fan. Will see if it makes much difference.
  • Options
    natural yoghurts meant to be good too ... smelly though lol
  • Options
    gotta love aloe vera gel! :thumb:
  • Options
    Just to conclude..

The redness is going down a bit now. I'm not sure whether it was the aloe vera gel (which I coated myself in for about 24 hours!) or something that one of my colleagues gave me - Piz Buin AfterSun Cooling Action Spray. Marvellous stuff! It's the only thing I've ever used that when I spray it on, it's actually sunk straight in and after a few minutes, my skin didn't feel tacky or sticky at all! Highly recommended! :D
  • Options
    The main thing is your betta. Well done for perservering.
  • Options
    Take aspirin!!!

Lucky for you the fairest person in the world just read this question--Me!! Taking aspirin within 24 hours of getting the burn not only reduces swelling and redness, but can actually cause your body to skip the whole burn process (if its not too bad). Just a little trick my doctor taught a poor girl who gets a little burned no matter how often she reapplies her sunblock.

P.s. please try to be preventive in the first place. Your skin'll look a lot younger in your older years if you practice sun safety!!:flirt:
  • Options
    This thread is TWO years old. If you want to bring something up its better to start your own thread.
This discussion has been closed.