Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What documents do you need to pay vehicle tax?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey. What documents do you need?

I only have to hand my insurance cover note and also my MOT certificate. Do I need my V5 too or would I be able to get away with just filling in the form at the post office? They want my SORN notification and I don't know where that is. But I'd have thought licence plate number, insurance and mot would have been enough?

Anyone who's done it recently could you let me know because the website seems to want a lot of different documents (logbook, v5, sorn notification) and I don't think you need all of them. I just can't remember from the last time I went though...

Comments

• Options
    You need your V5 or the reminder letter, insurance certificate and MOT certificate, unless you're doing it online, in which case you only need the reference numbers from your V5/Reminder letter. (Everything else is held on a computer database).
  • Options
    Hmmm. If I can't find it by monday I'll order a new V5. £18 though IIRC :grump:. Surely that comes under the same class as bank charges :p.

I SORNed it about 6 months ago and want to re-tax it now, don't know where the proper form is (I remember getting one). Thought it might be as simple as just filling in a new form with the insurance and mot stuff. Ah well.

Cheers whowhere :thumb:
  • Options
    See, this is why you want to get a folder labelled 'car stuff' (or 'bike stuff' in your case), and anything related to the vehicle goes into that folder. SORNs, V5s, parking tickets, extra keys, repair receipts etc etc. That way, when you need to get anything, you know where to find it and you don't have to shell out £18 for a new V5.
  • Options
    See, this is why you want to get a folder labelled 'car stuff' (or 'bike stuff' in your case), and anything related to the vehicle goes into that folder. SORNs, V5s, parking tickets, extra keys, repair receipts etc etc. That way, when you need to get anything, you know where to find it and you don't have to shell out £18 for a new V5.

I actually did that. But *ahem* lost the folder :p

Somehow I managed to find all it's receipts that the previous owner gave me though.
  • Options
    See, remembering where you put the folder is a crucial aspect to this ingenious scheme of mine working ;)
  • Options
    Have you tried doing it online? That often solves the documenst problem!
  • Options
    Have you tried doing it online? That often solves the documenst problem!

Yea I did try, but it wants loads of document numbers. Like the number I got on my tax reminder.
  • Options
    Yeah, you'll need the number on your tax reminder. They should have records of your mot and insurance details on the computer. That's the idea anyway- although when I tried it failed cos they couldn't find my insurance details
  • Options
    All I've got is MOT cert and insurance certificate. It's a toss up. I know my V5c is around somewhere. But I'm losing time whilst I'm looking for it. So should jsut bite the bullet and shell out £18 really.