Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cancelled direct debit

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I cancelled a monthly direct debit last Saturday. It's come to today, and I've realise the direct debit date was yesterday and the money seems to have still come out.

How long before the payment date do you need before you cancel a direct debit?

EDIT: And yeah I know my bank would tell me this, however my banks refusing to do anything because their systems are down. So not only can I not find out whats going on, I can't buy fags either. So I'm not in a good mood.

Comments

• Options
    Once the direct debit has been cancelled the money shouldn't have left your account, unless you've also failed to cancel a contract as well.
  • Options
    Oh god. Ihave no idea, it was my mums doing (long story)

I've rang her at work and demanded she comes home and fixes it as soon as she can though.
  • Options
    Well this is a lesson for you, deal with your own direct debits.
  • Options
    Are you with natwest? I heard their systems went down this weekend.

But anyway, as for direct debits you should cancel them in advance as it takes a few days for it to be processed IIRC.

Just contact the bank and say it shouldn't have been sent :)
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Well this is a lesson for you, deal with your own direct debits.

It's not for me. It's my mum that uses the account that it's been paid to. Like I said, long story.

And yeah it was Natwest. Loads of my payments have come up as no details avalible as well, so I have no idea whats been paid and what hasn't. Grr.