Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Wedding Presents/Best Man speech

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Boyfriends Dad is getting re-married next wednesday, it's snuck up. Boyfriend is the best man, and afaik has no speech, nor any inkling of what to put in it. I'm not much help, because a) I've never heard a proper BM speech and b) I've never met his dad - in over two years of being together that is rather bad. :blush:

Also, the present. Last year we got his mum and her husband champagne flutes in a wooden box with a plaque on it (with their names) and a bottle of champagne. I don't want to do the same this time, but I'm a bit limited on other ideas especially as I don't know this couple or much about them. Boyfriend and his dad aren't close.

So, best man speech ideas/content/whatever appreciated, as are pressie ideas.

Comments

• Options
    Your bf better get cracking on with it then...

as an idea:

Open your speech
    You represent other members of the bridal party, so don't forget to thank the groom for his words about the bridesmaids.

Explain who you are
    Let everyone know how you and the groom first met and how you feel about being his best man

Set the speech tone
    Cue your character assassination

Say something funny at the groom's expense
    Does he like to cook? Does he have a reputation for being tight with money? Is he obsessed about football? Think about the groom's character traits, interests and career

Tell an amusing anecdote about the groom
    You're his best man for a reason, so delve into your mutual past and recite an entertaining story.

Don't forget the bride
    Always make a point of saying something nice about the bride

Provide an insight into the bride and groom's relationship
    What do they see in each other? Has the bridegroom changed?

Pay a sincere tribute to the groom
    You've demolished his reputation. Now say something nice about him to reassure the bride's family

The final Toast
  • Options
    I'm not really a big fan of the whole traditional Best Man speech idea- the jokes about the groom's past relationships, why his current one will be doomed, etc, etc. I'd say your boyfriend should just say what he feels. It doesn't have to be a long speech or anything but I think it's important that it's sincere and well-meant and heartfelt and all that.

Does your boyfriend get nervous doing public speaking type things? I like stuff like that better when it doesn't sound too rehearsed and all that, but at the same time, you totally don't want to be standing up there with nothing to say... But let it come naturally- I'm sure he'll say what he wants to say and that it'll come across really well.

Gift-idea-wise, I imagine it's a lot harder to get something for someone who's already got a house and all that and therefore doesn't need glasses or a toaster or a kettle or whatever. Maybe you could get them a nice painting for their wall? Or maybe your boyfriend could find a really nice picture of him and his dad and get it blown up and framed for them? Or are either of you any good at arts and crafts? You could buy them some glasses (traditional like) and then do glass-painting on them. Or you could paint a picture for them. Something sentimental I think when they don't need any in particular.
  • Options
    Worth doing a Google search, there are some cracking examples out there...
  • Options
    went to my sisters wedding at the weekend the best mans speach was basically about how great it was that the two were getting married he gave the groom a tin of pineapples (joke to do with their breakfast or something) and then ended up jus doing the toast cos he was crying so thats one way of getting out of thinking anything up.....