Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Whats Cornwall like to live in?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm gonna move next summer, need a change.

I was looking at London but it's way to expensive and thought about Cornwall. What's it like round there? What are the people like (I hear it's a bit clicky), house prices (been looking on some sites and seems well pricey), employment opportunities etc?

Comments

• Options
    I think that that area of the country is pretty expensive. So if your main reason for going there is "cheaper than london" you might be better off somewhere else.
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    I think that that area of the country is pretty expensive. So if your main reason for going there is "cheaper than london" you might be better off somewhere else.

:yes:
  • Options
    Makoto wrote: »
    I'm gonna move next summer, need a change.

I was looking at London but it's way to expensive and thought about Cornwall. What's it like round there? What are the people like (I hear it's a bit clicky), house prices (been looking on some sites and seems well pricey), employment opportunities etc?

I've been on holiday to Cornwall alot of times and I love the place, but I could never live there. It is clicky - you'll always be an 'outsider' in a lot of places in cornwall, no matter how long you live there. The property is very expensive - obviously very sought after these days, being one of our favourite tourist destinations. Employment opportunities? Not alot really - it depends where you go in Cornwall. Somewhere like Truro you would probably be okay, but it's not like there's cities and towns everywhere full of offices and the like. Like I say, I love the place for a holiday, but you seriously need a plan if you ever want to move there...
  • Options
    I've been on holiday to Cornwall alot of times and I love the place, but I could never live there. It is clicky - you'll always be an 'outsider' in a lot of places in cornwall, no matter how long you live there.

Gerroff my land!

Erm, I'm guessing it'd be quite boring. The pubs would be full of ale drinking old men with wooly jumpers moaning about their crops dying and local post offices closing. And I wouldn't imagine the clubbing scene is especially hot either.

Maybe I'm wrong.
  • Options
    Cornwall would be really nice to live in but you have to bear in mind the average wage in Cornwall is less than £20k and houseprices are sky high. Its the most [SIZE=-1]unaffordable[/SIZE] place to live after Kensington & Chelsea.

Many places in Cornwall are owned as second homes by rich people in London, so out of season you might find many places dead and houses empty.

If money would be an issue, I would look at other places to live :thumb:
  • Options
    I likeCornwall but thing I would be so BORED living there...
  • Options
    why cornwall? it's a beautiful place but quite old peopley in places.. and expensive. it's a bit of a change from london lifestyle wise!
  • Options
    post deleted
  • Options
    I lived in Cornwall most of my life, and it is a brilliant place to live. Some of the small villages can be a bit 'clicky', but the towns are a lot better. Truro and Newquay both have a wide variety of people, although Truro would probably be the better place to live. I know house prices are quite expensive in cornwall, and I don't know if it's what you're looking for, but there are loads of house-sharing opportunities. And Falmouth is brilliant if you're an arty person. Oh, and the beaches are gorgeous.

The quality of clubs depend on where you go really. Newquay has loads, Truro and Penzance both have a couple too. And Plymouth isn't too far for some bigger clubs.

It really isn't the stereotypical old men drinking in the pubs and farmers everywhere. Truro particularly has some good pubs and bars.

The only downside I think would be the job opportunities, but I guess it depends what you do really.

Bit of a ramble, but there you go.