Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

are my mates bellends? or am i being bit too sensitive?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
right heres the thing. bascially its a regular day to day thing that im normally the butt of the joke around my mates. Its normally the little things, someone might say something and relate it too me and everyone will laugh. Some of the stuff is at times funny and i'll have a laugh too, but because its quite a regular thing i just get quite pissed off and feel a lot of the time my mates arent really my mates. I try to be a nice bloke and generous etc. and feel my mates may take that for granted, knowing i won't retaliate. Though some times i do tell them to fuck off etc if it goes too far.

Im in quite a difficult position as there aren't many people in my year so i have to basically get on with whoever. Though the one time i got pretty annoyed was when my brother joined in as well. he said something like 'he's so fat and lazy i have to pull the toaster handle down for him because his fingers are too fat to reach it.' (im 12st and 6.1ft) now i admit thats quite funny...if he had said it to someone else i probably would have cracked up, but thats the thing 90% of the time these things are projected at me! what do you say to someone that says something like that to you? my brother calls me a pushover and that i should stand up for myself. but generally i'd say im pretty confident person, when i want to be. what do you think? this the same for anyone else? cheers.

Comments

• Options
    right heres the thing. bascially its a regular day to day thing that im normally the butt of the joke around my mates. Its normally the little things, someone might say something and relate it too me and everyone will laugh. Some of the stuff is at times funny and i'll have a laugh too, but because its quite a regular thing i just get quite pissed off and feel a lot of the time my mates arent really my mates. I try to be a nice bloke and generous etc. and feel my mates may take that for granted, knowing i won't retaliate. Though some times i do tell them to fuck off etc if it goes too far.

Im in quite a difficult position as there aren't many people in my year so i have to basically get on with whoever. Though the one time i got pretty annoyed was when my brother joined in as well. he said something like 'he's so fat and lazy i have to pull the toaster handle down for him because his fingers are too fat to reach it.' (im 12st and 6.1ft) now i admit thats quite funny...if he had said it to someone else i probably would have cracked up, but thats the thing 90% of the time these things are projected at me! what do you say to someone that says something like that to you? my brother calls me a pushover and that i should stand up for myself. but generally i'd say im pretty confident person, when i want to be. what do you think? this the same for anyone else? cheers.

Hi. I know the banter can sometimes get a bit to much and may be hurtful at times, but I think maybe your brother has a bit of a point. You need to learn not to take everything to heart, easier said than done I know, and then you need to give as good as you get. Instead of laughing along with them, give them a sharp comment back - if you do, they will soon realise you are not such an easy target for piss taking as you once were.

On the other hand, you could tell them that their joking is sometimes hurtful and to hold back a bit, but this may make you look weaker and you may become the butt of their jokes even more. I would definately just give them lip back - they will soon learn to curb it a bit.

And for the record, I hardly think 12 st at 6 ft 1 is fat. I'm around 12 st at 5 ft 11 and I don't consider myself fat one bit.

Good luck... :thumb:
  • Options
    I think a lot of people feel like that sometimes, sometimes its only in their heads that its always them, sometimes its true. The most effective way of making people stop something is generally giving a consequence if they keep doing it, something that youd actually do though (not an empty threat).

That can work pretty well, but its fragile ground if there arent that many other people around that you can get on with so maybe dont go for anything too extreme lol :p
  • Options
    My husband has a group of friends whom he has grown up with - one of them has always been the butt of their jokes... I sometimes worry that it upsets him but everyone reckons he knows it is done with love and he is quite a good sport about it... I do think (and hope) that if it went too far he would let them know...

Have you told them your not too comfortable with it?
  • Options
    thanks for the replies. think strawberry pancake cracked the situation down to a T. and think you're right LeicesterLuke will have to give out a few more sharp responses - though can be hard. i havent really said anything to them about it, its not always a problem but over the last year gotten worse. feel if i say something then, like luke said, might appear to be bit weak. im leaving soon and off to uni, but wanted to get the problem sorted before i go, so that it dosen't occur when im at uni aswell. much appreciate the advice, will have to see how things go.
  • Options
    The only time that's ever happened to me was when I was young and tried to hang about with the older lads round my way so that was pretty much inevitable. If you're constantly the butt of every joke then you have to do something about it, just say "fuck sake lads, I don't mind a bit of banter but could you please stop taking the piss out of me constantly!" If they are true mates, they'll know the error of their ways, if they're not, they'll continue and that's time when you need to find new friends.
  • Options
    I'm normally the butt of jokes, but then I ensure others become the butt of mine. We've all got nicknames for each other, we all rip the shit out of each other.

As long as they know where to draw the line, and as lnog as you're actually giving some of it back then there shouldn't be a problem.
  • Options
    I always, but if you're a 23 year old boy from Aberdeen who lives in Glasgow/Dundee who listens to Westlife, dreams of being in the Lion King and who spits the dummy out if we don't go to the pub I want then you sort of come to expect it ;)

It's all banter though, the ones who do it more are the ones I know are there if there's a crisis or whatever and as long asyou give it back then it's fine. It's really healthy actually, I started work at a new place the other week and there's already a running joke about me liking it up the bum and I'm now adept at calling one of my workmates "a horrible little goblin", but it all goes to show that you can take and give a joke, which is what it's all about.

Start trying to make witty comebacks and don't take it to heart.
  • Options
    I think it's different strokes for different folks though really. Some groups of people show their comradery by having 'in jokes' about each other and basically taking the mickey out of each other, but it's not for me. I can't stand being the brunt of jokes and don't do it to my friends and am not friends with anyone who acts this way. I don't think I'm an oversensitive person either particularly, just that I only want to say positive things about my friends and hope they feel the same. The person who falls over (or anything silly) when pissed is the exception to the rule and they always get a bit of a ribbing.
  • Options
    what i did when that happened to me was not talk to them for some time, over the time i had ignored 5 girls who were always like that to me.. subtle comments that hurt like hell... now that i've dropped school they tell me that they miss me.. so sweet... but well, you should tell at least one person, that one person will go tell other persons and that's it.
  • Options
    I've been in your posistion!

Fight fire with fire!
    They'll soon realise your not such an target anymore. Only laugh when its laughable, never laugh at yourself for reasons disimilar.