Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Stretching piercings

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there's a law on stretching your pierceings because im thinking about stretching my ear pierceing. also is there any advise people can give me in maintaining it, like what to use to clean it, how often to clean it, the best material of expander, how big to go and how many weeks to leave a certain gauge in before going up by 1 or 2 mm etc.

thank you
Kat
xxxxx

Comments

• Options
    don't take my word for it because i haven't done it but i did look into it...and if you want it to heal at any stage you can't go any bigger than a certain size (i was told 5ga but this could be wrong)

this seemed like a good link:
    http://www.tribalectic.com/StretchingGuide.asp

i did start slowly stretching my cartillage for a bigger bar (i have a scaffold, industrial whatever you what to call it), but the captive rings annoy the fuck out of me, and you really need another person to help you when adjusting them or replacing them...
  • Options
    There's no law against stretching - in fact, there's no 'law' in regards to piercing; it's a very vague and unregulated industry.

One thing to say; stretching is permanent. It's forever. So, if you're not sure, don't do it.

Next, stretching can be done in may ways. I first chose to keep adding BCR's until the holes had stretched enough to fit a 1.6mm belly bar in, and then bought bigger and bigger steel BCRs.

Another way to stretch is to let your piercer do it - they'll do it with a steel taper and then insert the jewellery in once stretched. Not cheap, but the best idea if you're at all unsure doing it yourself.

Then there's acryllic tapers and claws - they all require you to wear them whilst you use them to stretch. They are held in by 'o rings' but can be tricky to use.
    I recommend seeing your piercer who'll either do it for you, or instruct you how to do it efficiently.

If you're going to do it yourself, you need to know a) only stretch 1mm at a time, any more than that and you can give yourself 'blow-out' or 'cats bum' which isn't pleasant and very painful and b) leave a minimum of 4 weeks in between stretches, this allows the skin to 'rest' and heal.

Also try not to wear acryllic jewellery whilst you stretch and only wear it once you're fully healed.
  • Options
    Try this linkhttp://www.pierceit.co.uk/piercing_info/stretching_body_piercings or ask/have a look on there forum, its quite helpful at times.

Theres no law regarding it but general advise is to take it slowly, only do it once your original peircings have fully healed and in small increments, I've seen what happens when it goes wrong. Speaking to profeesional piercer can also help if you want to DIY.
  • Options
    A law? lmao.

Think it's up to 6mm; any larger and it doesn't heal.
  • Options
    its all down to what your stretching. Cartlidge will be less likely to reduce in size after removing it than say an ear lobe, but everyone has a point where they wont go back.

I agree with whoever posted the Tribalectic link, they're an extremely good site and the community there is very helpful.
  • Options
    I have one of my ears stretched and am in the process of doing the other.

Its after 8mm that it doesn't go back to the original size (or so i got told by the person i bought my stretchers from).

My advice would be to start by putting a belly bar through the piercing. Then go up to say 3mm, then 5-6mm, ect ect. Once you get past a certain point (for me it was 6mm), it doesn't take half as long.

I'd also say try to grin and bear the pain of the first one, cos it doesn't hurt much after that. I'd use vaseline too.

DON'T however go too big too soon. With my ear that im doing now i thought 'fuck it' and went from a 3mm to a 8-10mm and it really hurt!!!

Happy stretching!!! :thumb:
  • Options
    jelly tots wrote: »
    8mm
    Erm, no. The average is 6mm, definitely not 8mm. Wouldn't risk it tbh.

Oh and always ALWAYS stretch in ONE MILLIMETRE INCREMENTS, Don't skip sizes, because you WILL pay for it.

If stretching is done properly, it should only mildly hurt, and should not be agony like the above poster has implied.
  • Options
    Oh and always ALWAYS stretch in ONE MILLIMETRE INCREMENTS, Don't skip sizes, because you WILL pay for it.

I think it depends on the person's ear and the size of the stretch to be honest. My boyfriends ear is 12 and he did 8-10-12 and they all went in fine, no rips teasr blood blah blah, lots of people do go up in 2's and quite a lot of plug sizes to by go up in even numbers anyway.
  • Options
    Erm, no. The average is 6mm, definitely not 8mm. Wouldn't risk it tbh.

If stretching is done properly, it should only mildly hurt, and should not be agony like the above poster has implied.

I never said it should be agony if done right. Only if you go too big too soon, which is what i did. I totally agree it should be done in small increments but most people can do it in 2mm increments.

And as for the size before it will go back properly, it can be 8mm. Everyone's different i have mates who have gone to 10mm and have gone back to the origninal piercing with no problems
  • Options
    I agree with you on everyone being different, but it's better to be safe than sorry, so it's much better for the OP if we all air on the cautious side with sizes that 'will go back to normal' because we never know. Saying 8mm and then having an OP with a problem later on is not what we want, which is why saying 6mm is the best size to stop at it you're at all unsure - better safe than sorry, eh.

And no, all piercers I've ever spoken to have recommended 1mm increments. I won't argue over with anyone over that. Any more than 1mm and you can so easily tear the skin.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I agree Ilora, but have you ever tried to find a 7mm?
  • Options
    Yep! I bought an african earring from Camden once, which I was told was 5mm, but I measured it when I got home and it turned out to be 7mm....

They are out there! lol. - Here, in fact And, here hehe.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Ah, but I wear tunnels, and according to my tattooist, they don't make em in 7.
  • Options
    And you're all wrong about the laws, there are by-laws definitely, coz we 'ave 'em! The local laws are just about being on the hepititis register or something but they do exist.