Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sleeping tablets

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Which ones are best? I am currently taking temazapane but they don't make me sleep for a few hours and I just wake up at 5am. I wasn't convinced that they are actually a sleeping tablet but I just googled it and apparently they are. I was on Zopiclone before but that was whilst on a ward, I'm not sure why I was given different ones to take at home, although the Zopiclone wasn't that great either. Not sleeping is seeming really unhealthy as I just end up walking about the streets of London at night by myself, walking onto the bridges contemplating jumping into the Thames. I was sectioned recently but got unsectioned and discharged myself against the consultants advice on Monday and I'm a bit scarred to be too honest to my doctor incase I get sectioned again. But I want to go get the sleeping tablets thing sorted, I just wondered which are best to take?

Comments

• Options
    Zopiclone is usually used for short term (approx 1 week) which would be one of the reasons they gave you something different to take home, you'd probably had it short term while you were on the ward.

If you're talking these kind of thing you will need to go back to your doctor because they are all on prescription only, it might also be worth going back because it sounds like things aren't working out as well as they might be.

The only other thing that comes to mind (other than the usual Nytol etc) would be one of the antihistamines people take for hayfever, they make some people really sleepy as a side effect. Piriton is the usual one.
  • Options
    Oh randomgirl :(

What has happened to make things so awful for you lately??

I wish I could help :(
  • Options
    Zopiclone is usually used for short term (approx 1 week)

Wow. I didnt know this. My mums been on zopiclone for at least two and a half - three months :confused:
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    Which ones are best? I am currently taking temazapane but they don't make me sleep for a few hours and I just wake up at 5am. I wasn't convinced that they are actually a sleeping tablet
    yep. they are. temazepam are good but they don't make you fall asleep, only keep you asleep after you have already entered the REM cycle. if you want strong sleeping tablets you can only get them on prescription or illegally :p
  • Options
    jelly tots wrote: »
    Wow. I didnt know this. My mums been on zopiclone for at least two and a half - three months :confused:

They are used longer term for some people, having been reviewed after short term use. As long as they are being prescribed to her properly then don't fret.
  • Options
    otter wrote: »
    yep. they are. temazepam are good but they don't make you fall asleep, only keep you asleep after you have already entered the REM cycle. if you want strong sleeping tablets you can only get them on prescription or illegally :p

Techincally it is a muscle relaxant, and yes they will completely knock you out if you take a high enough dose. However they come with a massive list of side effects - horrible addiction being the most obvious.

I've found Zopiclone useful, there isnt much hangover with it unlike with the benzos.
  • Options
    I was prescribed zopiclone for 15 months a couple of years ago but i wouldn't recommend that as it loses its effectiveness after a while.

There is another tablet similar to zopiclone called zolpidem, which i preferred to zopiclone; it got me asleep and kept me asleep which was excellent!

Temazepam is a benzodiazepine, it's possible that if you went back to the doctors they would prescribe you a different tablet, but is also a benzodiazepine, which could work more effectively for you. I believe you shouldn't take benzos for longer than a set amount of time, because they're so horribly addictive and the withdrawal is evil if you develop a habit, however, i think that is preferable to wanting to jump of bridges.

I hope you feel better soon. I'd urge you to go back to the doctors. Perhaps you could even leave the tranquilisers and sleeping pills and instead go on a sedating anti depressant such as mirtazepine (zispin) that always knocked me out and i suffer horribly from insomnia.
  • Options
    There is another tablet similar to zopiclone called zolpidem, which i preferred to zopiclone; it got me asleep and kept me asleep which was excellent!

I hope you feel better soon. I'd urge you to go back to the doctors. Perhaps you could even leave the tranquilisers and sleeping pills and instead go on a sedating anti depressant such as mirtazepine (zispin) that always knocked me out and i suffer horribly from insomnia.

Zolpidem is Stilnoct isnt it? If so I found it next to useless, but then we're all different.

I'd agree with you about mirtazepine (is that how its spelt?) I've had that in the past too and it works well, although can lead to very strange dreams.
  • Options
    I went back to the doctors (GP) this afternoon, she doubled the dose of the temazapane so maybe that will work better, I'll find out shortly!

I was on mitazapine in the past and it didn't work out for me as I was sleeping an average of 20 hours per day on it and was in my final year of university at the time which was impractical and it didn't help my mood (infact, as I struggled to keep up with my work whilst on it more than ever I found that rather depressing in itself).

I'm seeing my consultant next week so maybe she'll have a bright idea (or will put me back in hospital :grump: )

Thanks for your replies guys :)
  • Options
    i really hope you feel better soon randomgirl.
  • Options
    Funny you ask this, Randomgirl! I had a sleep problem last week and consulted my mum about it. The most important thing about such medication is that you don't get addicted to it. The first point of call is a herbal remedy, so Mum advised me to take Nytol. It it found in two coloured boxes - green box, blue box. Take the green box and that will be your herbal. £4.99 for 28 tablets. When I took my first Nytol pill, I already had 2 sleepless nights. This time round, I managed to sleep 7h 40m. My arms were a little stiff on the following morning but that shook off when I was through the shower. The subsequent nights were all good again without having to take the medication. It's good knowing that I have 27 more pills in the cupboard, but don't get dependant! The other rule about sleeping pills is that you must aim to get as close to 8h sleep as possible otherwise the negative effect of having less than 8h will be amplified.
  • Options
    Thing is, if shes Temazepam doubled, then Nytol might as well be jelly babies for all the use they'd be.
    Not only that, shes got prescription meds so shouldnt take anything that could potentially affect her more(even though its highly unlikely).

Its quite scary that your gp has doubled the Temaz, considering you're feeling how you are.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    yes they will completely knock you out if you take a high enough dose.

they won't.
    but yeah it is highly addictive and when you come off it, you're guaranteed to suffer with insomnia for a while.
  • Options
    surely it would?
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote: »
    surely it would?

try it. - don't really. it will keep you asleep not knock you out.
    if you toook a large enough dose it could slow your heart and put you in a coma but it won't knock you out to sleep.
  • Options
    oh!
  • Options
    otter wrote: »
    they won't.
    but yeah it is highly addictive and when you come off it, you're guaranteed to suffer with insomnia for a while.

I've only a very limited experience with temaz, but it certainly seemed to knock me out, however it left me with a really nasty hangover, and as you rightly point out it has a really serious addiction risk.
  • Options
    zopiclone are sleepin tablets but you only have a 'window' of about a half an hour to get asleep in after taking them, or they wont knock you out properly

as for whoever said a load of temaze's won't knock you out.. it varies greatly from person to person with benzos but it will certainly knock plenty of people out
  • Options
    Even on the higher dose (20mg) I took ages getting to sleep and woke early, they said I couldn't stay on the higher dose long term either due to addictiveness and as I didn't find it that effective anyway I've decided to come off it. I had my first night without last night (although I had drunk a few gin and tonics) and didn't really notice the difference, probably because I didn't find them very helpful in the first place.

On the discussion about what happens if you take a lot/ too many my research seems to state that an overdose would just put you in a coma for a few days but is very unlikely to kill you.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    On the discussion about what happens if you take a lot/ too many my research seems to state that an overdose would just put you in a coma for a few days but is very unlikely to kill you.

... and unlikely to knock you out to sleep. temazepam has little effect on REM.
    get your GP to give you a different drug.