Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Washing silk

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I bought some shirts and the sign said silk, but the tags don't say anything more than the store, size and where it was made. It doesn't feel all that silky, but what do I know :p The internet is giving me all of these elaborate ways to wash it, like hand washing and all that jazz. SO I was just wondering, can't I just stick them in the wash with everything else? Why do they say to take such specific care, is it cuz its so thin? And if you can just wash them in the washer, what temp should they be washed at? I do wash most things on warm/cold but I wouldn't care about changing to cold/cold for everthing if need be.

Comments

• Options
    Hand washing is best for delicate fabrics I wouldn't risk putting it in the washing machine.
  • Options
    Best bet. Handwash, no higher than 30c, don't soak, rinse throughly. I don't know about over there but you can get special detergent for washing silk here.

There 'might' be a silk programme on your washer.
  • Options
    :o How ackward. I never neve noticed that. Never really looked at any of the other buttons before other than what I press every time. Think of the things I could wash properly if I knew what any of them did :p Can I put other clothes in with it on the silk setting? It just seems like a waste to wash just 2 shirts by themselves but I don't want my other clothes to be any less clean. Oh why did I never listen when my mom tried to teach me about laundry :(

And thank you :D