Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Reheating chinese food

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The chinese dishes such as chicken and pea pods, occasionally a sweet and sour and other dishes with a thicker sauce, where I can only assume they use corn startch or something, is there any way to actually reheat that stuff and get it to melt again? Or once it has solidified, you;re pretty much shitouttaluck.

Comments

• Options
    goes runny again for me if i stick it in the microwave- tried that?
  • Options
    Why yes, I have :p No matter how long I put it in it never goes runny :( I need your magic touch.

I've also tried putting hot water from the coffee maker in it shaking it around but that just made it watery and chunky too :p
  • Options
    weird
  • Options
    i put it in the oven in the aluminium take out things for about 15 - 30mins on about 100 degrees (celcius) and that works
  • Options
    if your take out dishes are plastic, dont put it in the oven lol!! I put it in the micromave for about 3 mins
  • Options
    my_name wrote: »
    The chinese dishes such as chicken and pea pods, occasionally a sweet and sour and other dishes with a thicker sauce, where I can only assume they use corn startch or something, is there any way to actually reheat that stuff and get it to melt again? Or once it has solidified, you;re pretty much shitouttaluck.

It all depends on how much they've added to it. Most of the time you just reheat it and it'll be fine. But then again the nearest takeaway near me when I was at uni added so much thickening agent that the sweet and sour sauce would actually set solid in the cup, as in you could pull apart the polystyrene and you'd have a cup shaped blob of sweet and sour sauce.
  • Options
    It all depends on how much they've added to it. Most of the time you just reheat it and it'll be fine. But then again the nearest takeaway near me when I was at uni added so much thickening agent that the sweet and sour sauce would actually set solid in the cup, as in you could pull apart the polystyrene and you'd have a cup shaped blob of sweet and sour sauce.

Thats exactly what happens! Its a shame too becaues when its fresh its so delicious but they always give you so much so I take the rest to work for lunches, but now I have to limit what I eat on the weekends or dinner to what can be reheated at lunch :p