Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Duke of Edinburgh Award

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Figure it goes in here...

For my Duke of Edinburgh gold award, done the expedition and I should have the physical covered. I may also have the skill covered too.

What are the specific requirements of the physical and skill sections? Ie do you have to have records of acheivement (like qualifications) or is it just being able to prove that you have done it for so long?

I'm on my own doing it now so I'm trying to make sure I get it all covered. Only 5 years left to get it finished.

Comments

• Options
    http://www.theaward.org/ - I reckon this site may help you. I would try to answer your question but I can't be arsed to read through the site and it's ten years since I completed my gold so the regs may have changed.
  • Options
    For Gold:

Residential and Expedition are both pretty well defined and self explanatory.

For the other three sections, Physical Recreation, Skill and Service you have to actively do something for a set period of time (the times vary depending on what you've done before) and fufill the requirements.

You are expected to have do 3 things for each of them.

1. An initial briefing, or something similar, where you decide what you are going to do, what training you need (for the Service section), who is going to assess it and what your targets are going to be.

2. Then you need to do it, for however long, completing any necessary training comes under this bit too. The doing should average at least an hour a week.

3. Then you need the 'debrief' where you talk to your assessor about what you've done, what you've achieved and the progress you've made. If you've achieved a qualification it's pretty easy, if not you'll have to show your progression over time.

These don't necessarily need to be very formal things, but it needs to be a bit more than deciding you go swimming lots and getting someone to sign it off because you knock off a few lengths a couple of times a week (random example that came to mind).

I train and assess various bits of D of E and am an award holder so do ask or PM me if that's not clear.
  • Options
    I did the Bronze way way back and I hated it!!! I'm not one for walking or camping in the rain so it was a complete nightmare. And I just forged the skill and physical bits too haha. Good luck!
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    I did the Bronze way way back and I hated it!!! I'm not one for walking or camping in the rain so it was a complete nightmare. And I just forged the skill and physical bits too haha. Good luck!

ha that sounds like me people were bugging me saying that I do enough that if I just did my expedition then I would be able to get my bronze, I was like me camping? walking? :eek2: no wayyyyyyyy :yuck:
  • Options
    Well I'm a horse owner/rider, so it's more like 2-3 hours on a daily basis!

I do have riding lessons, but I don't actually have the care side assessed at all. I suppose I could go get a qualification for the stable management side. :chin:

The horse riding is definately my physical, it's just going to be deciding on the skill. I don't really want to take up anything completely new as I'm often short on time as it is. I have a couple of other options, but one I don't think would last long enough (involves completing a kit dolls house that is currently a bare shell) and I'm not sure how assess-able the other is - making showjumps.

For the service I plan on joining St.JA, so that's easy enough.

ETA, our first practise expedition was in an October. That was quite good. The second was in April, it was absolutely horrid - raining all the time and we were constantly soaked and freezing. The actual one was in July, and I have to say I really enjoyed it. Yes it was boiling hot, yes we all tried to rebel about climbing a massive mountain in that heat, but we had no reception so we had to do it. But yeah, it was good. :thumb:
  • Options
    Your riding lessons would do the trick just fine for your physical, tell your coach that you're using it for your D of E over the next x months, that way at the end of the time she can write it up in your book and how you've progressed.

Are you learning to drive? Lots of people use that as a skill. It's worth checking the lengths because you may find you only need to do your skill for 6 months which might make life easier.
  • Options
    I'm a direct entrant, so I need to do 18months and 6 months skill/physical. Logically it'd be easier to do the riding lessons over 18months, as I will be anyway.

I have my driving test in June, but my driving instructor has a full record of what we've done each week, and it would cover a 6 month period. :chin:
  • Options
    If you've been having lessons every week (or longer ones less often) then that would work well.