Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

"My" new president

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Since Yesterday, a dwarf is officially "our" new president.
I did not elect this guy, my votes went to his rival.
French people who voted for him don't know what they've done...
I will never consider Nicolas Sarkozy as "my" president but as "their" president.
And when they will complain against his policy, I'll be happy to remind them for who they voted 2 weeks ago.

Comments

• Options
    What do you want to debate?
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    What do you want to debate?

Dwarfism?
  • Options
    héhé thanks to him heelpieces will be very fashionable for men... :D

seriously, I was just wandering what you thought about him?
  • Options
    Well its up to the French people to elect their President and they have. That makes him the President of France. Whether or not you agree with him is another matter
  • Options
    That there be how democracy works, unlucky!
  • Options
    I wouldnt trust the guy, but i didnt realise he was short.
  • Options
    yepiyep wrote: »
    Since Yesterday, a dwarf is officially "our" new president.
    I did not elect this guy, my votes went to his rival.
    French people who voted for him don't know what they've done...
    I will never consider Nicolas Sarkozy as "my" president but as "their" president.
    And when they will complain against his policy, I'll be happy to remind them for who they voted 2 weeks ago.

Well thats democracy for you. You may not like him but the majority of French people did. I would of like to have seen Ségolène Royal as president as she is much easier on the eye, but the choice was up to French citizens.

Personally I think Nicolas Sarkozy will make a good president. I hope he has the guts to really reduce the power of the unions, cos it seems the French are always on strike for something. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    not that big a majority.
    I bet its not long before they feel the same way we do now about Blair after all the rejoicing when he first got in power.
  • Options
    If he tries to remove the french right to strike, there will be bloody riots.
    Theyre not pushovers like the British
  • Options
    Theyre not pushovers like the British

Since when where the Brits not allowed to strike?
  • Options
    Hopefully he will be economically good for France which does need to change (its spending more than it takes in every year).

However I'm concerned about his social policies - is he going to be going after the "scum" (his own word) again?
  • Options
    not that big a majority.
    I bet its not long before they feel the same way we do now about Blair after all the rejoicing when he first got in power.

A majority is a majority. It may be slim, but its still a majority.

I hope he does turn around France, giving tax breaks to those who want to work more than 35 hours a week is a good start. The French economy has been doing so badly lately, on current figures it shouldn't be in the G8.

The only issue I have with Sarkozy is his stance on immigration. I do hope he can unite the different races and religions in France and not divide them further. He is in power now, so there is no need to please the far right supporters who voted for him in the second round.

I don't think Nicolas Sarkozy wants to make it illegal to strike. I believe he wants to reduce the power of the trade unions who hold the country to ransom over the slightest thing.

:thumb:
  • Options
    I like the fact that everyone seems to believe the sytem for electing presidents and the like is a fair, flawless and fully representative system :) its sweet!

do they not have riots already? :D
  • Options
    diddlybop wrote: »
    I like the fact that everyone seems to believe the sytem for electing presidents and the like is a fair, flawless and fully representative system :) its sweet!

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    yepiyep wrote: »

He's still 'your' president. Just because you lost does not change this fact. He may not be the president you wanted - but he's yours. Like Blair has not been the Prime Minister I wanted ... but he is still mine. :crying:
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    He's still 'your' president. Just because you lost does not change this fact. He may not be the president you wanted - but he's yours. Like Blair has not been the Prime Minister I wanted ... but he is still mine. :crying:

** hands out the Kleenex **
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    ** hands out the Kleenex **

I really don't want to take from your stock of masturbation tissue paper. I don't want you to be caught short! :p

(teasin')
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    I really don't want to take from your stock of masturbation tissue paper. I don't want you to be caught short! :p

(teasin')

:lol:

Theres plenty to go around ;)