Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

in season food

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Asparagus and Rhubarb are currently in season - I just wrote an Asparagus recipie in anothe thread and thought maybe we should share the love of in season foods.

I also made excellent Rhubarb desert yesterday - it was sooo yummy

Comments

• Options
    I made a rhubarb and custard tart ( got the idea from Druckers :) ) last week.

I really miss seasonal food. Today you can get almost anything any time of the year, and it usually tastes like shit. Have you ever bought strawberrys in winter ? They taste like little bags of red water, absolutely no taste at all. When i was a kid you only got strawberrys in summer, parsnips in autumn, tangerines in winter etc and all tasted so much better.
  • Options
    I've been eating big bundles of asparagus recently, really good roasted with olive oil and then some of that hard italian cheese (you know the one dont make me attempt to spell it) grated on top. Shame it makes your pee smell funny.
  • Options
    I love food when it's in season, I try to make an effort to buy stuff that's only in season, but can't always make it to the farmer's markets.

Califlower, raspberries, new potatoes, new carrots and broad beans are also in season at the moment :)
  • Options
    Parmesan ?
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Parmesan ?

Thats the one, not much, just a little towards the end of the cooking.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I have found that Eat the Seasons is a really good website for seasonal food and recipes.
  • Options
    I'm getting a bit sick of asparagus (decadent, i know!) cos we live in asparagus country and you can get a MASSIVE bundle for about £2. If you save the hard ends, they make really good soup as well, and it's less wasteful.

I hate rhubarb. And i'm not a huge fan of broad beans, apparently they taste good with butter, which i don't eat.
  • Options
    home made rhubarb crumble is my fave pudding :D makes me miss home just thinking about it!
  • Options
    Replicant wrote: »
    home made rhubarb crumble is my fave pudding :D makes me miss home just thinking about it!
    :yes:.

My mum used to make that with the rhubarb our next door neighbour grew in his garden :yum:.
  • Options
    I dont' think i can ever explain my love of Rhubarb!