Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Robert Murat

Am I the only person wh thinks it was wrong to publish a probably innocent man's identity to the world as the one being responsible for a kidnapping.....?

I hate it when the media do this, they identify the suspects so even if they are innocent their lives are ruined.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Am I the only person wh thinks it was wrong to publish a probably innocent man's identity to the world as the one being responsible for a kidnapping.....?

I hate it when the media do this, they identify the suspects so even if they are innocent their lives are ruined.

The media are only reporting what the public wants to know.

I tend to agree though, but unless the law is changed, this will always happen.

It's a bit like the guy who was a suspect in the Ispwich murders, who turned out just to know some of the women involved. It is sad, but it is publicised when they are released without charge.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    It's a bit like the guy who was a suspect in the Ispwich murders

Apparently him and a mate 'drunk themselves to death' on his compensation. Was flicking through BBCi and saw it.
  • Options
    I agree, I said to my missus I hope he's guilty because otherwise they've totally ruined his life anyway.

Infact now there is a quote on the BBC site from him saying the only way he will survive this is if the real abductors are caught - it's appauling.

Unless he does turn out to be guilty of course..

Not looking very likely though is it!
  • Options
    i think its outrageous theyve done this
  • Options
    Yea an accusation is as bad as being found guilty these days.
  • Options
    I totally agree with you, Whowhere. If you look on the recent pet hates thread in the "Anything Goes" forum, I listed "the press" as one of my hates.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    The media are only reporting what the public wants to know.

No they aren't it's what they think will sell more papers. Who cares if they name the wrong person and destroy his life, the profit margin will be enough to cover the damages...