Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Gordan Brown - Your Thoughts on the Man

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So it looks like he's destined to be the next PM .. so what do you think of the guy?

I wasn't particularly looking forward to seeing him as PM, I just find it very hard to imagine him on a world stage with other world leaders BUT I also know you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover and I don't think from any of the main parties there's much decent choice these days.

But I'm willing to give the guy a chance and see what he can do with the position until the next General Election which isn't that far off now.

Comments

• Options
    For once I agree with George Galloway when he refers to Blair/Brown as two cheeks on the same arse...
  • Options
    I think Gordon Brown is a very clever man, however he doesn't have the charm and charisma that kept Tony Blair in the top job.

In todays world you need to be media friendly and able to charm the birds from the trees in order to get by. Two qualities I don't think Gordon Brown has.

:thumb:
  • Options
    I'm not particularly keen on the guy, But if he makes a good prime minister then that's acceptable. I would rather see someone younger though, a fresh face in politics, but not bloody cameron.
  • Options
    My friend met him yesterday cuz he came to his work place. So far I got:

rachael says:
    is gordon nice
    FRIEND says:
    yes
  • Options
    Rachael wrote: »

rachael says:
    is gordon nice
    FRIEND says:
    yes

Several people I know who've met him say he's very personable in real life.
  • Options
    Gordon Brown is a man who has always had me fascinated. For many years, we've watched him at work in the Treasury. Admittedly, he's been pretty good as Chancellor, though since the decision to give independence to the Bank of England, (the correct decision, I thought) his control over the economy is somewhat more limited than previous chancellors.

We've always been told numerous things about him. For example, he is a man of detail. Whereas Blair had his eye on the bigger picture, Gordon was the one asking the questions about the detail and about policy. Over the last ten years, he has had considerable force in the government. In a cabinet full of pygmies, he is one of few ministers to stand out. Therefore, I think he is best qualified to be the next Prime Minister.

However, I do have my concerns. Many people blame him for the decimation of pensions in this country. His raid on dividends did not assist on these matters. I do not like the way he believes in top-down, centralised government. I detest the way he believes we should all be sucked into benefits with what he calls "tax credits". I have many doubts about his record, and I feel it's about time he explained why he did what he did. As a Prime Minister, he would find it much harder to dodge such questions.
  • Options
    I know it sounds bad, but the crap he's had going on in his personal life makes him seem more human.
    Maybe, when it comes to running the country, that will be a good thing?
  • Options
    I think Gordon is a smart guy but I don't think he has any charisma to motivate the country or impress world leaders. I hope he is ok but I will have to watch this space ....
  • Options
    A tub of lard would make a better job of impressing world leaders than our current PM, Tony 'Stuck up Bush's arse' Blair.
  • Options
    He seems like a good enough statesman and any move away from presidential style "personality politics" can only be a good thing, but the man certainly has a dark glint in his eye.

I don't think we'll be seeing any major changes to policy that's for sure.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote: »

rachael says:
    is gordon nice
    FRIEND says:
    yes

Haha, I met him and Tony (me old mucker) a couple of times when my ex worked at the Labour Party HQ. He was a top bloke, I thought, and I found him strangely attractive. I had obviously forgotten to pop my sanity pills that day or else I had just fallen prey to the old power as an aphrodisiac cliche :razz:

I'm not too sure what I make of his politics/intentions, I think he might surprise us but I don't exactly have the greatest of expectations so my stamp of approval wouldn't be anything extraordinary.
  • Options
    At least he isn't gonna tell us to "Hug a Hoodie"
  • Options
    So it looks like he's destined to be the next PM .. so what do you think of the guy?

I wasn't particularly looking forward to seeing him as PM, I just find it very hard to imagine him on a world stage with other world leaders BUT I also know you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover and I don't think from any of the main parties there's much decent choice these days.

But I'm willing to give the guy a chance and see what he can do with the position until the next General Election which isn't that far off now.

Another big government fool.

I want someone to reduce the size of government. :yes:
  • Options
    He will be pushing the agenda he's told to push, just like Tony.
  • Options
    At least he isn't gonna tell us to "Hug a Hoodie"
    :(

But I like hugging hoodies....

Well, certain ones anyway.

An another note, the guy has just flown up in my estimation when I read today that the white paper detailing the plans for future energy supplies in this country will feature nuclear power. :yippe: