Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Does this piss anyone else off?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Someone walks into a room, changes something, and then leaves?

I think it's a parent thing and it pisses me right off. My mum came into the house for about 1 minute, decided she didn't like the fact that Sky Sports News was on her TV, which I was listening to, turned some shit on, then left. I mean I can understand it if there's something you want to watch, but wtf? The other favourite is "you don't need that light on." Why not let the people who are actually in the room be the judge of that?

Comments

• Options
    Some people are merely natural meddlers. No matter what state a room is in, they can find something to their dissatisfaction. My dad often complains that appliances are switched on unnecessarily. For example, one night, I was watching the TV and needed to go to the toilet. I went upstairs. Two minutes later, (there was a lot to piss, what can I say) I came back down, and saw the TV had been switched off in the mains.
  • Options
    ARGH my mum does that all the time. She'll have a fit that she never gets to watch HER shoes, then take the remote, puts it on A Place on the Property Ladder in the Location, Location, Location in the Sun and then either falls asleep or buggers off on the phone.

My dad always turns off the light everywhere. Usually when im just sitting in my room reading, he'll just stick his hand in and turn off the light.
  • Options
    The other favourite is "you don't need that light on." Why not let the people who are actually in the room be the judge of that?

Even worse when you're actually doing something, like looking for an item, using the mirror, then they come in and turn it off and say that. Meaning you have to go over to the switch, put it back on anyway, and they end up looking like an idiot.
  • Options
    I hated it as a kid when I left a room and left the door open and my mum would shout "doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    No "please Vicky, can you shut the door?"
    I now do it my bloody self!
  • Options
    foxysoxy wrote: »
    ARGH my mum does that all the time. She'll have a fit that she never gets to watch HER shoes, then take the remote, puts it on A Place on the Property Ladder in the Location, Location, Location in the Sun and then either falls asleep or buggers off on the phone.
    My mum will refuse to watch News 24 all day, then when The Simpsons comes on, insist that she "hasn't seen any news today." Well whose fucking fault is that?
  • Options
    "you don't need that light on." Why not let the people who are actually in the room be the judge of that?

My dad does that he comes in to my room and turn my dimmer switch down when im on the computer because i "dont need it on that bright" then go again and leave me not bein able see the keyboard :confused:
  • Options
    at my house there was one lamp in the living room and my dad would sit right by it reading a book, and the rest of the room would be total dark. As soon as a put the main light on so i can see what i am, i get yelled at. What is it with dads and lights!?

Imalways sit on the same sofa, comfortably watching TV on my own, then my mum would come in and re arrange the cushions WHILE im on the sofa, then leave the room. She must know that im going to wriggle so there not much chance in the cusions being plumped and balanced on their corners how she puts them for long
  • Options
    My dad is exactly the same. He'll always say 'do you need that light on...' and the proceed to turn it off whether or not I do need it on.

He's permanently secretly switching all the lightbulbs to 40 watts too, which fucks us right off - anything above a 40 watt bulb and he's livid. The house is like a crypt, it's so gloomy. :yuck:
  • Options
    olaola wrote: »
    at my house there was one lamp in the living room and my dad would sit right by it reading a book, and the rest of the room would be total dark. As soon as a put the main light on so i can see what i am, i get yelled at. What is it with dads and lights!?
    It's no mystery. There are two reasons behind it. Firstly, it tends to be the father who pays the electricity bill. Secondly, when it comes to money, most men are utterly tight bastards. The reason he's telling you to switch it off is because he's dreading seeing his next electricity bill.

Whether his fears are justified is something for you to decide. :p
  • Options
    Probably something to do with conserving energy and keeping electricity bills down.
  • Options
    Haha that really reminds me of when I lived at home:

"It's like Blackpool lights in here"

Gotta love parent phrases.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    I hated it as a kid when I left a room and left the door open and my mum would shout "doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    No "please Vicky, can you shut the door?"
    I now do it my bloody self!

haha! my dad does that
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    foxysoxy wrote: »
    She'll have a fit that she never gets to watch HER shoes
    That's probably because if she watches her shoes while walking she'll run into something. The solution is simple: Ask to wear her shoes and she can watch them on your feet all she wants.

My mum is another of those who turns lights on all the time. Also in the last year or two she's paranoid about people looking through our windows at night (but not at day!) so she shuts the blinds as soon as the sun begins to set, not caring if the noise bothers me.
  • Options
    shadow wrote: »
    :D:lol: Aww "you dont need the light on" sounds like me my dad turns lights on alot when we dont need them on so i turn it/them off. :lol::D

I sometimes do this. I do this alot when I'm ealkign upstairs into my bedroom (which I share with my younger sister) and sometimes it's either the light is on and the curtains are shut:rolleyes: or the light is on when it clearly doesn't need to be.
  • Options
    noog wrote: »
    haha! my dad does that
    I do that ;o.

Usually only because I don't want anyone to see how much of a mess my room is, though :D. My sister does it too. Rich and Lizzy's boyfriend have both learned now that the door MUST BE SHUT when we leave the room.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Probably something to do with conserving energy and keeping electricity bills down.

Changing the channel doesn't conserve electricity though. I think it's more to just be irritating in a sort of "this is my house" way.
  • Options
    my mum dont do that, but my bf dad does it all the time, id be watchin casulty in the kitchen and he come in and turn it over, sit there for 2 minutes then leave again. Or he turns the subtitles off 'coz there annoying', which means i cant hear the program properly, so i miss most of it anyways
  • Options
    During Winter me and my mum's boyfriend had an ongoing battle with the heating. I'm on the ground floor and it's freeeeeezing which they dont seem to understand. So when I turned it up he came down 10 mins and turned it down. Pissed me off so much.

I understand the door thing. I hate when someone leaves the door open to the living room when I'm watching TV. There's so much noise from next door because of a certain computer game.
  • Options
    That's probably because if she watches her shoes while walking she'll run into something. The solution is simple: Ask to wear her shoes and she can watch them on your feet all she wants.

:lol: That made me laugh because it took me 2 reads when i read the original post to realise what he meant!
  • Options
    Eurgh my mum's as bad with lights... If I'm using the laptop downstairs with the living room light on, she'll come in, switch it off and switch the (very dim) lamp on the other side of the room on. Then announce "I'm off to work then". Ffs. I only turn the light back on when you leave AND leave the lamp on. If my eyestrain is less important than her electric bill I'll give her something to fret about at least! :)
  • Options
    I"m bad with lights. My parents would always say something, but now, my boyfriend always says "are you in the kitchen?" as he stares at me in the living room if the kitchen light is on. I don't know why but it pisses me off so fucking much. Probably because he comes home and thats the first thing he says. Not even hello. Fucker, so I just scowel. First I said yes, now I just ignore him... and leave the light on.
  • Options
    Last week I was toasting some bread in preparation for a nice turkey sandwich, and while I was out of the room for a second my mom comes in and turns down the toaster oven from 3.5 to like 2.5, then when my toast pops up and its not brown enough I was like, wtf? I guess she decided that I didn't know well done I like my toast.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    ARG. My mum is bad doing that. I go to get some food, coem back to the room... the TV is chaged. No-one's watching it, at all. It's just on. Not where I left it though, some wank is on.

Perhaps I was watching that? No. I change it, she shouts "don't change that!"

Sod off, you ain't watching it. Tell me when you are actually THERE.
  • Options
    My stepdads removed half the lights in my room.
    Which is pretty damn annoying 'cause they're spotlights and uselessly positioned, so I can hardly see in the first place.

He'll also hide anything I accidentally leave on (i.e. curlers) in the garage.
    And he went through a phase of putting every razor I've used like, once, in the bin.
    And if I don't take my coat and shoes upto my room, he'll put them in the dog bed, even though everyone elses things are strewn around the kitchen.
    Apparently it's cause I don't do enough.
  • Options
    Have to say that while a lot of these are reasonable whinges, there are a fair few that are parents making reasonable demands for behaviour and standards in their homes.

I frequently go into my brothers rooms and open the curtains while they're still tucked up in bed, and my parents used to do it to me, the whole idea was to irritate and wake me up because I should have been up by that point, either because I had to be somewhere, or other people were up and doing chores and it was unfair for me to stay in bed.

The most irritating thing my mum does is start talking to you, then continue talking and walk out of the room to do something else so you have to follow her around the house to hear what she's saying. Stand Still damn you.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I frequently go into my brothers rooms and open the curtains while they're still tucked up in bed, and my parents used to do it to me, the whole idea was to irritate and wake me up because I should have been up by that point, either because I had to be somewhere, or other people were up and doing chores and it was unfair for me to stay in bed.
    "Unfair"? What does that mean? People should sleep as long as they need to.
  • Options
    Indeed they should, but equally a lot of people will stay in bed until they are forced out of it, be it by parents/siblings or need to so something.

Likewise, it all depends when you went to bed.
  • Options
    I can relate to a lot of these things!!!

When my dad was alive, he'd have to be up for around 8 in the morning for work on a saturday and so used to come into my room and wake me up!!! He used to say that if he didn't do it there and then id sleep all day! Was so unfair.

Now me mam will wake me up. Its usually if she's bored and wants to chat! She'll come in, open the curtains, tickle my feet and tell me to get up! Once, when i was adamant i was not getting up, she stood on my bed with one foot either side of my head and started hammering a shelf into place on my wall!!

Damn that woman!!!:grump:
  • Options
    My dad does the lights thing aswell. He's only in the room for a matter of seconds/minutes and he says "you don't want the lighs that bright (the are dimmer ones) and proceed to turn them down then go upstairs.

My grandma walks into my bedroom without knocking. She used to come into my room on Sunday mornings (she stays over on a Saturday night) and actually tidy up my quilt when I'm in bed (if I haven't tidied them up myself then I must be comfortable) and open the blinds at 9am when I'm still trying to sleep.

My dad doesn't seem to like doors open and once when the living room door was open he said "doors are there to be closed" and I was like "no dad they're there to walk into the next room through. I didn't realise there was a law that said you must keep doors closed.