Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Gordon Announces new affordable housing to be built

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.selfbuildland.co.uk/affordable-housing.htm
" Backing for 500,000 new homes
BBC News, 15th October, 2004

As the debate over house-building intensifies, National Housing Federation chief executive Jim Coulter tells BBC News Online why he welcomes Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott's proposals for building more affordable housing .

The country is in the grip of a housing crisis so severe that doing nothing is no longer an option.

Yes, we need to build more homes. But more importantly we need to build communities that are socially and environmentally sustainable.

More and more people are being forced to live in poor and overcrowded accommodation with ill-effects to their health, their children's education and the local economy."

;)

Though there is a genuine need for thousands more homes. People used to be able to afford a house on a years salary, now you'll be lucky to afford one with 5 years salary (if you bought outright).

It's mental.

n.b. for the less observant the website I have posted cites a BBC news story from 2004 saying the exact same thing he's saying now

Comments

• Options
    We are currently being told, now that the Blair era is effectively over, that this will now hearld in an age of honesty and trust in politics. This announcement shows that to be bollocks. This is just more rubbish from a discredited, good as dead government that will almost certainly never happen.
  • Options
    Having said that;

all politicians are equally terrible. I want one of them to publicly announce more affordable housing as it's an issue that is close to my heart.

Since Gordys done this, I may as well vote for him.
  • Options
    Old news repackaged as new...
  • Options
    affordable housing is a vote loser - it makes house prices come down, and people think they're getting poorer - of course this is bollocks, as for most people the only thing they sell a house for is buying another. It does hit those who invest in property. But they're all rich anyway, so who cares?