Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

contact Lenses

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

Do any of you contact lens wearers find that they are uncomfortable? i get sleepy if i wear them for more than two - three hours? is this normal?

Thanks people!

Comments

• Options
    The only time I find my lenses uncomfortable is when I wear them for longer than a month. I can never remember when I put them in. :D

I don't think its normal that you should get sleepy with lenses in after 2/3 hours. You should be able to wear lenses comfortably for around 14/15 hours a day. I would go and speak with your optician.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Are you astigmatic? If you are, then this could be the reason why they're uncomfortable, and I'd recommend toric lenses.

If not, then I'd ask you if you had 'dry eyes'? - My mum has dry eyes and couldn't wear contacts for very long before they become sore. She doesn't wear them at all now, because of it.... It could be that...
  • Options
    contacts are only uncomfortable when they dry out and really irritate your eye.
    no. what you are describing is not normal, wearing contacts can't make you sleepy... they can only make your eyes feel tired, not your body
  • Options
    when i wear my contacts for more than 6hours they tend to make my eyes feel heavy if thats what you mean? They are normally also dry when that happens.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    The only time I find my lenses uncomfortable is when I wear them for longer than a month. I can never remember when I put them in. :D

I do that, it's really annoying!

If you work in an airconditioned environment, it'll dry your eyes out quickly as well, which can make your eyes feel dry and tired, especially if you work at a computer. Eye drops can help :)
  • Options
    Hi

Do any of you contact lens wearers find that they are uncomfortable? i get sleepy if i wear them for more than two - three hours? is this normal?

Thanks people!

I find the standard ones make my eyes go red after 4 or 5 hours - so I pay extra for ones that have special stuff in them that stops your eyes rejecting the lense so easily.
  • Options
    Amira wrote: »
    when i wear my contacts for more than 6hours they tend to make my eyes feel heavy if thats what you mean? They are normally also dry when that happens.

same here.

I only very rarely wear mine, but I think it may be the brand. I've worn my dads once, same prescription as me, different brand. they were much more comfortable.
  • Options
    My mum has dry eyes and couldn't wear contacts for very long before they become sore. She doesn't wear them at all now, because of it.... It could be that...

:yes: My mum had the same problem.

My contacts are always comfortable, unless I've been wearing them for longer than 10 hours, in which case I need to blink all the time and they go blurry... But I'm not suposed to wear them for longer than that anyway, not enough oxygen gets to the eyes and it damages them.

I'd talk to your optition, they may be able to help you out somehow. :)
  • Options
    Thanks for this info, Looks like i will have to buy some eye drops at ASDA tonight. Hopefully the chemist in there is open. With a bit of luck this should help. Thanks everyone.:)
  • Options
    Check you have your lenses in the right way round. I have made that mistake :blush:

Took me hours to work out what was wrong. I thought it was my hangover. :D
  • Options
    Mine get worse towards the end of the month, but that would depend what kind of lenses you wear. If you're only getting that much wear then a different lens would probably be better for you, mention it at your lens check up.