Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Portion sizes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
thought i'd share something that both suprised,amused and made me realise something. I was reading reviews on bran flakes last night as I was planning to eat them this morning and wanted to see what other people thought of them blahblah (yeah I'm a loser ).Anyway I was reaidng one and they were like " well an average portion size 100g contains 350ish calories. I was like T_T how WRONG do you wanna get it?! On the front it says a 30g serving, if you did a 100g serving for everyone that would use the box up if you had five in your family! Just made me realise how little people think of portion sizes and for some reaosn amused me. However 30g is a tiny amount , 100g is quite excessive.
Opinions and other stories of portion sizing isssuesss?

Comments

• Options
    I'm not sure what you're saying ... did they have the portion sizes wrong on the front and back of the box?

Mmm, I had bran flakes for breakfast today :yum:
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I think she meant someone had said they would have a 100g portion of them, which is a little bit too much...even in my books!

30g is fine , does me a treat with a glass of orange juice.

Don't like Bran Flakes though, Special K all the way!
  • Options
    i think it completely depends on the weight of the cereal as to how right/wrong the info on the packet can be.

eg. 30-40g of shreddies is a decent enough portion for me and will fill a bowl well (because its light, it takes more of them to make 40g) HOWEVER, if i was to have a bowl of cereal such aaas.. countrycrisp (massive clusters) ill fill up a bowl with the recommended amount of 40g or so and it is a MINISCULE amount! i weighed the amount of cereal that i usually eat in one sitting, and it came to a whopping 90g!!! not on :p
    i felt like a right fatso

... and im not completely sure this post makes sense!! I KNOW what i mean anyway!! ;)
  • Options
    they usually put a portion size as more than 30g for heavier cereals anyway if you look on the side of the box, its usually abou 50g
  • Options
    1 portion = 1 plate / 1 bowl full - simple.
  • Options
    Are you sure they weren't just referring to 100g as it makes it easier to work out what percentage is fat and stuff?
  • Options
    Yeah what Loopi said, they usually do a "Portion size" chart and then 100g chart lol