Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

cheap fruit and veg in london?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
because i don´t tend to like buying from supermarkets, and not that their veg is good quality or cheap...but it´s really difficult!

my local market is really bad, they have the very bog standard stuff apples grapes, potatoes, occasionally some other things but nothing very exciting!

now i´ve got no problem with only eating whats in season, but where the hell do i need to go to get a good selection? and i can´t really get a veg box cos they are normally too big and i can´t be spending a tenner on fruit and veg...

Comments

• Options
    Would you spend a tenner every two weeks? My boyfriend and i pay £12 every two weeks between us for a veg box, and it's great.

Where in London are you? Cos Borough market is, obviously, very good for fruit and veg. Alternatively, more local markets (Lewisham springs to mind, don't knock it till you've been there...) can be ok.
  • Options
    i´m in the east which would make you think that there would be loads of food markets but not in my area...borough market is lovely but very expencive...

do you find that a veg box every 2 weeks lasts you?
  • Options
    Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    There's the High St in Walthamstow. I've always found it quite good. Especially on Saturdays. It's the longest street market in Europe apparently.
  • Options
    Yeah, definately, and we eat a fair amount of veg as we cook properly most nights.

This week we got:
    cucumber
    peppers
    garlic
    white cabbage
    cauliflower
    tomatoes
    carrots
    courgette
    potatoes
    onions

Which should do us for two weeks - we do supplement it with leafy salad, but that's really the only thing extra we buy. Makes me feel bad in the supermarket as my trolley never has any veg in it!

Abel and cole are apparently quite good in the London area. There's another one but i can't remember its name :chin:

Yeah, i'm better on the south-east than the east - that's where i grew up!
  • Options
    yeah, i was going to get a box from abel and cole, cos they do nice mixed boxes and they have a really big variety...

who do you get your box from in norwich?
  • Options
    Somewhere called Salle Moor Hall Farm - it's a local box scheme in Reepham (i think) which is nice because they veg is really fresh when it gets to us.
  • Options
    It would probably be cheaper to grow your own stuff. Is there any way you could do that?
  • Options
    get yourself a tomato plant, i bought mine for about 8quid and your supposed to get cherry tomatoes off it every 5 weeks. :)
  • Options
    The advantage with a tomato plant is that it only takes up a windowsill :) Most people who live in london don't have much of a garden to dig up for vegetables; they take up quite a lot of room!
  • Options
    exactly and besides i dont have a window-sill so it goes out on my balcony...and so far the heat isnt killing it! I got about 10 tomatoes off it within the first two weeks, and there hasnt been anymore since...so i guess they are growing. Shame they take a while to grow as they're sooo yummy!

Might need to go get me another one, so i can have more tomatoes :heart: