Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

making a doctors appointment

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Now that I'm an adult and all (well, just 18) I thought it was about time I called up the doctors and made my own appointments rather than my mum doing it, not that i've been to the doctors for about 4 years anyway. However, just to clarify :blush: , do I simply called up and ask for an appointment with a doctor and give them a convinent time? I don't need to give a vague description of what the appointments for do I?

I realise this is a very stupid question, but I've never had to do it before and just wanted to check so I don't make a fool of myself on the phone, I'll just make a fool of myself on here instead :D

Comments

• Options
    Depends how your surgery works.

With mine, you call up and ask for an appointment. They ask what it's about, (you can just say it's personal) as you might be able to see the practice nurse and not use up a doctor's appointment. I usually see the nurse for my drug reviews, or if i know what's wrong and i know what i need so she just needs to see the doctor to get the scrip signed.
  • Options
    I think it depends. Like I went to the doctors last week and got told I needed to book a blood test and had to tell the receptionist that I needed to book an appointment with a nurse for a blood test. In general though, I don't think you have to say what the appointment is for.

As for times & stuff - I tend to give a day and whether I'd like it in the morning/afternoon then they'd give me a few times and I'd just pick whatever one is convient for me. (unless it's for bloods which they only do in the morning)
  • Options
    Yeah, with my old surgery and my new one all I do is ring up and say that I need to see a doctor. They've never asked me what for. They can be quite picky about times, but thats because I'm usually really awkward and want to see an exact doctor in an exact period of the day :)
  • Options
    It's alright to ask for a female doctor isn't it? Just because I'd probably feel more comfortable talking to woman for silly reasons.
  • Options
    It's alright to ask for a female doctor isn't it? Just because I'd probably feel more comfortable talking to woman for silly reasons.

I've never had to ask for that, but I don't see they'd refuse you to see a female doctor.
  • Options
    Cheers guys :thumb: Il do it tomorrow. I might even be all grown up and go on my own too :D lol
  • Options

Assuming that they have one ;)

Remember that you have the right to be seen within 48 working hours (any GP) but not if you specify a particular GP.
  • Options
    Remember that you have the right to be seen within 48 working hours (any GP) but not if you specify a particular GP.

When I asked for an appintment, I had to wait a week. But alot of that was ro do with times that I could do. (which is impossible because I only have Friday afternoons off)
  • Options
    Surgerys have to keep a certain number of appointments back each day to allow for emergency cases to book them. Ours is almost impossible to get an appointment.

When I ring up I only have to ask if I can have an appointment. If it's just a drug review then I say so (through choice) and they give me an appointment with the nurse unless I specifically ask for a doctor. I rarely ask for a female doctor though as the one in our surgery is hardly ever there and the last one started got pregnant and went off on maternity leave, came back for about a week and got pregnant again :eek: Fortunetly I can always go to my mother-in-law (she's a practice nurse) as long as it's not too erm.... personal shall we say :blush:

If it's an "emergency" as someone has woken up really ill with tonsilitis or something then we can usually go at the end of surgery and wait instead of having to book an appointment in advance..although this is a bit of a pain when you have a small child who doesn't even want to get out of bed :grump:

Okay I've waffled enough ..... :wave:
  • Options
    If you're fixing up an appointment with a doctor, then the receptionist don't tend to ask what it's for. If it's for a nurse, then they'll need to know. I.e. last time I went to see a nurse, it was to have my ears syringed.
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    If you're fixing up an appointment with a doctor, then the receptionist don't tend to ask what it's for. If it's for a nurse, then they'll need to know. I.e. last time I went to see a nurse, it was to have my ears syringed.

:yes: I've found this as well.

Actually, I did have to explain myself to the receptionist last week when I phoned up, but that more for advice on what to do about something. (whether or not to wait longer to make an appintment I think)
  • Options
    If they ask me why I want a doctors appointment I tend to sarcastically reply that I need a doctors appointment in order to see my doctor. But usually they don't ask.