Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The end of videos and tapes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Videos have been dying a slow death for a while. On the upside, that means I've been able to pick up really cheap videos as all the shops sell off their stock.

But I still use blank videos to record programmes off the TV.

And now Currys have said they will no longer sell tapes. I kind of liked tapes (apart from when the tape snapped and you had to use a tiny screwdriver to open up the cassette and fix it). I remember making a complation for a bloke when I was 16. I also liked recording stuff off the radio, usually the top 40 or Trevor Nelson :)

I will miss videos and tapes, anyone else?

I'm not into all this modern stuff, you can't just buy an iPod, you need a computer as well. Bring back the Sony Walkman (and I don't mean the phone!)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Audio tapes I won't miss, video tapes yes. Until DVD recorders become cheap enough.
  • Options
    I'll miss tapes. Me and my bestfriend used to make daft little radio shows recording ourselves putting on accents for 'interviews'.
  • Options
    I will miss them a bit :(

But just think, we can do that highly annoying thing that old people do, to our kids... "Well, I remember when we had these things called tapes..." :D
  • Options
    Nah I won't miss having to wind the tape back and forward to try and find the start of the song you want to listen to, or the end of the programme you haven't watched yet. I love being able to carry your whole CD collection with you. I love the fact that my entire CD collection fits on about 20 CD's for my car stereo. I love being able to look and what song you're listening to and know what it is.
  • Options
    Man! I'll really miss tapes. Not audio ones so much, they used to wind me up. But video tapes will be sorely missed. I hate dvd's. I don't like all this scene selection business and faffing about with what kind of subtitles you'd like. RIP, happy days.
  • Options
    Nah I won't miss having to wind the tape back and forward to try and find the start of the song you want to listen to, or the end of the programme you haven't watched yet. I love being able to carry your whole CD collection with you. I love the fact that my entire CD collection fits on about 20 CD's for my car stereo. I love being able to look and what song you're listening to and know what it is.

Yeah I agree...
    All of the above things people have said they will miss can easily be done on modern equipment which every home has.
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote: »
    Yeah I agree...
    All of the above things people have said they will miss can easily be done on modern equipment which every home has.

I don't have all that modern equipment which looks up what song is playing! I just don't like the way things are going where people are forced to buy digital TVs, iPods, etc, because things start to come out in formats where that is the only way. I'm fed up of BBC going on about podcasts.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    I don't have all that modern equipment which looks up what song is playing! I just don't like the way things are going where people are forced to buy digital TVs, iPods, etc, because things start to come out in formats where that is the only way. I'm fed up of BBC going on about podcasts.

But surely that's what people would have said years ago when videos and tapes came out...
    What happened to 8 track tapes!! we are being forced on this new stuff!

Its all change and it will always happen... in a few years time people will be moaning what ever happened to CD's and DVD's.
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote: »
    But surely that's what people would have said years ago when videos and tapes came out...
    What happened to 8 track tapes!! we are being forced on this new stuff!

Its all change and it will always happen... in a few years time people will be moaning what ever happened to CD's and DVD's.

I know...I probably won't mind when the price comes down. I'm not a great fan of CDs, mine always scratch, and I've broken a fair few as well.
  • Options
    heh, I wont really miss them,

Video tapes dropping a Gen every time you record and after several times of watching, same with tapes, always losing the quality,
  • Options
    I'll miss them...they're part of my childhood!! Rachael...my brother and I used to do 'radio shows' and record them on tape too!!! :D

But I know what the OP means.....it's getting to the point where you're being forced to buy new technology if you want to watch TV (because they're also fazing out analogue signals), and you don't have the choice whether to use DVDs or video players....you HAVE to buy a DVD player...and DVDs can still be pretty expensive...I would have expected the price to come down quicker tbh, which is what tends to happen with new technology after a while.

Anyway, it IS sad, and I'll miss them both.....but while I listen to CDs, I'm balancing it out by resolutely sticking to buying vinyl whenever I can!!! :thumb: