Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

court case to retrive personal property

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Something very personal was taken from my home by a family member when i was younger, that was my property and i'd now like to retrieve this as it wasn't possible first time round...

how would it be possible, and would i be elegable for legal aid seeing as i'm living on benefits?

Comments

• Options
    Small issue of proof...?
  • Options
    Have you asked for it back?
    What are the circumstances of them taking it?
    As MOK said, how do we know it's really yours? Photos of you with it before it was taken e.t.c.
  • Options
    basically they are all the photos bar 2 taken of me from ages 0-10 ish, which were taken when my father broke into my house when he was stalking me and my mother...
    I have asked for them back and was told no...
    and how do i prove they are mine...well, i'm the subject of the photos...is that enough proof? my mother owned the camera most of them were taken with if not all...
  • Options
    I've got absolutely no idea how you'd go about that or whether it would even be possible. I guess your dad would argue that they were his photos, he took them, he got them developed etc and it would be very hard to prove otherwise.

Have you tried asking your social worker (unlikely to be any use but worth a shot) or getting in touch with the CAB, either direct or via ask the site?
  • Options
    I have asked my social worker to get in touch and she got a no answer...

they are mostly polaroid picutres, and my mum may still have the camera, surely that woukld go a way to prove that they are mine? or at least my mothers
  • Options
    you could take your father to court to retrieve the items, but you would not get legal aid for doing that. it really wouldnt be sufficient benefit to get legal aid.

the costs of the court would be prohibitive, tbh, and judges would wonder why you werent going through mediation. it is also likely that you would not get the actual photos back, rather you would get financial damages, and it really doesnt seem worth it. the proof is only balance of probabilities in a civil court, so you should be fine for that, but i really would wonder why you would consider doing it. it wouldnt be cost effective, you wouldnt get free representation, and courts would take a dim view of what they see as a waste of their time.
  • Options
    and how do i prove they are mine...well, i'm the subject of the photos...is that enough proof? my mother owned the camera most of them were taken with if not all...

Not really. I have loads of pictures of my kids. Do they belong to them or me?

It's a tough one Trinity. Was there a reconrd of the break-in?
  • Options
    yes, but i don't think he was very charged with burglary just harrassment...oh memories of riot police rushing the house to get my dad out of the shed at christmas....:(
  • Options
    Point being that there was record that he broke into the house. Did you notice that anything had gone and/or did you tell the police that the pictures had gone?
  • Options
    cant you just steal them back?
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    This is a hard one love, there is no way to prove the photographs are yours as others have said, and tbh with or without the camera I cant see it making any difference. 1 polaroid camera is the same as the next.
    There may be some way an expert could work out it was taken from that exact camera, but no court in the land would order that due the expense.

Have you spoken to the police? As MoK said if there is a record, there is a possibility they maybe able to retrieve the photos for you, but I really wouldnt hold out much hope for it.

Sorry to not have good news :( but dont take me as 100% of course.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Small point - just because the photos are of you, it doesn't actually mean they are yours. Technically they belong to whoever took them.
  • Options
    ^^^ That was me not her, wrong browser :/
  • Options
    which means that they are my mother´s but she is fed up of courts and stuff after years of custody battles over me, and getting court orders and all these things she can´t be bothered...

the police were told what was taken in a statement, and his house was searched for all of the stuff, and only a few things were found, and my baby photos weren´t among them...

i did speak to the police and they said that they can´t give me legal advice and i need to go to a qualified solicitor, who will charge for just picking up the bloody phone!

i´ll see if another formal letter does it if not i´m going to have to leave it and just live with the fact that i have very few memories of my childhood...
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster

i did speak to the police and they said that they can´t give me legal advice and i need to go to a qualified solicitor, who will charge for just picking up the bloody phone!

Not necessarily true, a lot now do the first interview free. Which is obviously worth it, as you are losing nothing.
  • Options
    I don't mean to be funny or anything, but what exactly did you expect the police to say and do to help you?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    I don't mean to be funny or anything, but what exactly did you expect the police to say and do to help you?

eh? why would you not phone the police first? They were there after the incident, they would be the first port of call to find out how to get stolen property back.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    why do people always say that when they clearly are being funny?

a solicitor who is publicly funded will give you a brief interview to advise you on how to proceed, but i really dont think that there are any legal remedies open to you. if your dad just says hes destroyed them, regardless of whether he has or not, it would be up to you to prove he has them. if he has destroyed them the only legal remedy is compensation, and compensation can only be for actual loss. the cost of a photograph is about £2.

the courts would take a very dim view of what they would see as frivolous lititgation.