Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Kittens

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Couple of things;

a) there's one on my keyboard and he thinks that this :shocking: smilie is great. He's also making it hard to type, keeps pressing "page up", but at least he's contributing to the discussions in his own way.

b) new kitten (7 weeks) came on Sunday, named her Peggie, took her to the vets today to be de-flea'd and then brought him home. :eek2: So name suggestions would be nice. 5 month old kitten is called Archie, and we all liked the name Peggie. I'm currently calling him Eddie, but I dunno about it. :chin:

c) Archie doesn't like Eddie. He goes for him, but it takes him a while to get close enough, so he's obviously wary. I wonder if it's because this is how the neighbours cats reacted to him - maybe it's learnt behaviour? In any case, any suggestions? He'll be sleeping up here tonight instead of in the kitchen where he was sleeping until the arrival of Eddie.

Comments

• Options
    Mine contribute by putting the num lock on. It's great, they walk along my keyboard and i end up ty-5ng 352e th5s. Sods :)

I got two kittens, both boys, or so we thought... until one got balls and the other didn't. Oops. And then Ninja (the one with balls...) started humping Indy, so then we had him 'done'. And i don't think i should be allowed to help you name your cat, mine are called Indy (after Indiana Jones) and the Ginger Ninja :rolleyes:

Have you spent time introducing them to each other or did you just let them in the same room together? It can take a good week or so of carefully introducing them to each other before they're accepting, and it can really upset both if you don't do it carefully.
  • Options
    It was sort of a let them in the room together, but we were watching and they haven't been left alone at all, so it's not been for long periods of time. Little kitten is living in the kitchen, and Archie has the run of the rest of the house.

Eddie is fine, but Archie sort of skulks around and watches, before going for Eddie if he gets too close. So I think there's curiosity, but that he's nervous as well and isn't sure how to react? He was really friendly towards the neighbours cats, but they kept hissing at him and going for him, which makes me think that this is learnt behaviour towards Eddie.

We also only had Archie castrated on Friday, but Mum got some anti pheramone thing earlier which the vets suggested might reduce the male fighting instinct.
  • Options
    Some of it will probably be because Archie thinks that Eddie's in his territory, i would imagine. There are a couple of good factsheets online if you google for them, i can't remember where i found mine but it was really helpful.

Pictures please!
  • Options
    So name suggestions would be nice.

What colour is he ?

Ours are called Persia and Maya.
  • Options
    Pictures please!

Here's one i've just done to keep you going :)
  • Options
    Oh, bless them :)

Here are my monkeys... although they were quite little then, they're bigger now (well, Ninja is twice the size of Indy...)

ETA: Hahaha, i just noticed how possessed Ninja looks in the first pic :)
  • Options
    Surely 7weeks is too young for a kitten to be taken away from its mother :(

But that aside, I have two kittens (brothers from the same litter), their other brother (also from the same litter) has come over for a playdate and they were fine. But, when i bought my sister a kitten and brought that one home they were a bit wary and defensive with him. He was a teenie little thing, same age as mine but he was the runt and was like a quarter of the size of my two. But he defended himself...he fought back and actually scared my two, in the end they were all zooming around the house together....and playing together. So give it time...

In terms of names, the black one is Captain Nemo or just Nemo (but more often than not he gets called black mamba...kill bill anyone?) and the other one (black and white) is Chico the Pirate, usually just call him Chico (or tuxedo man)

My two babies...the second pic is just after they got a hair cut :p
    :heart::heart:
  • Options
    we're getting a kitten soon :D
  • Options
    Amira wrote: »
    My two babies...the second pic is just after they got a hair cut

They look really pissed off :D
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Getting them snipped young often stopsthem being so aggressive to each other.

Names?
    Kamov
    Rommel
    Hertzer
    Kirov
    Richthofen
    Molotov
    Koniev
    Vatutin
    Chuikov

You don't get Zhukov, as my cat is called that ^_^
  • Options
    Mr. Cat is a good name.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    They look really pissed off :D

That would be putting it mildly, i dont even think they know who they are anymore :p Poor babies, i miss their fluffyness :(
    Renzo wrote: »
    Mr. Cat is a good name.

ooooooooooor Mr. Good Cat :p

its best to have them snipped at about 6months, a lot of vets won't do it before then for safety reasons related to the anesthesia.

Oh and if you use firefox, and your page starts to scroll funny...then one of them has stood on the F7 key (and turned on caret browsing) you can turn it off by pressing F7 again.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    All kittens are cute! :D

But, I thought I'd read somewhere that it's not a good thing to give haircuts to cats, the ones with long fur need it for something... I think. :chin:
  • Options
    But, I thought I'd read somewhere that it's not a good thing to give haircuts to cats, the ones with long fur need it for something... I think. :chin:

i think its their whiskers they need, to be able to balance properly and have a good sense of perception?

not 100% sure tho
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I think Charlie is a good name...

All these kittens make me want one! :heart:
  • Options
    My Kittens were 12 yesterday... time flies. Hopefully they've got a few more good years to go.
  • Options
    Here are my not so little'ens. :)
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    z- wrote: »
    i think its their whiskers they need, to be able to balance properly and have a good sense of perception?

not 100% sure tho
    Yes, that's right. But I read they need their hair to be at their natural length too, for different reasons.
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote: »
    Here are my not so little'ens. :)

:shocking:
  • Options
    :shocking:

What?
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote: »
    What?

They look scary!
  • Options
    They look scary!

Heehee... they do look a bit possessed.
  • Options
    See? Like Ninj, it's the eye thing! They look cool, just rather unimpressed.