Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Diaphragm/Cap

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Having been on the pill since I was 16 (I'm 24 now) I came off it last year after I split up with my boyfriend, as I just don't feel comfortable with dosing my body with hormones anymore. Anyway, we got back together over christmas and I have since discovered that he has a severe dislike of condoms, to the extent that he lost his erection the other night at the mere sight of them :crying:
So, since I'm not prepared to go back on the pill, I was wondering about the diaphragm/cap.
Does anyone here use one? It's just that they don't seem like a very popular method nowadays, so I just thought I'd get some opinions on them...
(Oh, and Helen, I have looked at thesite information pages, which are very good :p I just wanted some personal opinions on them :D )

Comments

• Options
    Just a quick reminder - Condoms are the ONLY way to reduce the risk of an STD
  • Options
    rpcb61 wrote: »
    Just a quick reminder - Condoms are the ONLY way to reduce the risk of an STD

Thanks, I know that. That's not really what I asked though.
  • Options
    A friend of mine considered getting a cap, to the extent where she was being 'fitted' for one, but apparently her cervix was in a strange position, and she - despite her best efforts - couldn't get the thing in or out. Her weight also fluctuated a lot, and I don't think she wanted to trust in something that might need to be refitted with her changing weight.

I did consider getting a diaphragm myself many moons ago, but decided the maintainence wasn't worth it, and opted to go with the coil instead (I too was fed up with the hormonal contraception).
  • Options
    Yeah, I thought about the coil too, but I wanted something that was less "permanent" (wrong word, but can't think of another way to describe what I mean), as I want to start thinking about having babies in 2 to 3 years time. Also a little squeemish about something being actually in my womb, so that kind of puts me off!
    I've used something for my periods which is a bit like a disposable version of a mooncup which was fairly successful, so I'm not worried about the inserting/removing side of things.
    I was wondering about the practical side of things really, like having to leave it in for over six hours after you've had sex and the reliability of it.
  • Options
    My friend was looking at something called a honey cup for a while, apparently honey is a natural spermicide and antiseptic - it's like a cap you store in honey and it's more effective than a regular one?

I'll ask her if she's got any more info about it - i think she didn't get it because you need a clean smear before they'll fit one and they've pretty much stopped offering them to people under 24 now.