Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

bomb scares

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
We had one today at college, not sure what happened but i think they found something in the toilets. Just wondering if anyone else has had one at work etc and what happened?

Comments

• Options
    We had one of those in year 8. It was annoying because it was cold, I was hungry, and my tutor gave a girl in my tutor group a banana because of somethingorother.

Grumble.
  • Options
    oh god dont even go there!
  • Options
    Yeah used to get them quite frequently at the college i worked at last year, the students who had nothing better to do (i.e. when they got bored of tripping the fire alarm or breaking in at night to steal PCs) would ring up and leave an anonymous tip, even though security knew it was a prank they had to evacuate the building everytime, very lame....still, was a nice break and a bit of fresh air if nothing else.
  • Options
    I been through 2 bomb scares. Incidentally both at McDonald's. Once in restaurant and once in the HQ.

Its really annoying as it takes so long before your allowed back in the building. Guess thats life though.
  • Options
    z- wrote: »
    oh god dont even go there!

Was thinking a few of you lads would have a different perspective on it :)

On a smaller scale was old enough to remember bomb scares pretty much every weekend in Manchester, every week or so in Bolton and every day whenever I visited London - even remembered having to run to the tube with my brother as they were shutting every station down in central London one by one.

Obviously calmed down a lot now - though I'd imagine not much up your way z-
  • Options
    Other than the 2 London ones (obviously - on the 21st July I had to pretty much beg my university to let me in 'cos the suspected bomber was in one of our hospitals, but I had nowhere else to go!), we had a fun one at school.

Someone fucked with a hydrogen canister, so it leaked and we had to evacuate. I'll never forget the teachers running around screaming, "It's not a drill, girls, get out! Get out quickly!" So much for remaining calm... Sadly, the chemistry block didn't explode.
  • Options
    The gas leak in our school labs was fun.

We noticed it and teacher hit the fire alarms and screamed 'get out NOW'. It's all good and calm.

We had one at work the other week (turned out to be a drill staged by the General Manager but no one knew) that was fun getting all the swimmers out onto the park.
  • Options
    At my secondary school we had an Animal House - all the animals were extremely well cared for but it did cause a bit of a stir with activists... I think it was my first year and we had a bomb threat called in... we all got evacuated to the field but because it was too cold they took all of us little Year 7's to the school up the road where we sat in classrooms and played games...

Can't say it affected me too badly :)
  • Options
    I was by Liverpool Street having just got to work on 7/7, so there was that, which was fun.

Also, we had a bomb scare in school when i was in 6th form. Got us out of an afternoon of school, nothing happened, it was a big hoax :)

Oh yeah, and one of our bunsen burners caught fire at school and we were evacuated cos they couldn't find the gas stop off!
  • Options
    Same as Franki, funnily enough, one at our school :p

Kid didn't do course work and was scared about getting in trouble so made a bomb, peice of shit bomb but still enough to need a controled explosion lol.. he got a few years I believe.

I'd count that as more of a bombing than a scare as they're WAS a bomb
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Was thinking a few of you lads would have a different perspective on it :)

aye its been ridiculous at times.. i've been evacuated from my house a few times for controlled explosions to be made on stuff left in my street.. and thats only the start of it!

not too bad these days but they're still at it every once in a while

the weird thing is that it seems normal enough to me!
  • Options
    I remember being sent home from secondary school early several times because of IRA bomb scares in Birmingham.

Was out in town when this bomb went off: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/1636919.stm
    was lucky no-one was near but it was all evacuated
  • Options
    Yup. In New York about a month after 9/11. In Port Authority Bus Terminal first thing in the morning, rush hour. All of a sudden about 500 people started running towards me. It was horrible. I honestly don't think I've ever been that scared before :(
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    I been through 2 bomb scares. Incidentally both at McDonald's. Once in restaurant and once in the HQ.

Its really annoying as it takes so long before your allowed back in the building. Guess thats life though.
    It was my 6th birthday and I turned up to McDonald's for my party with about 20 other friends.

'Oh, we've had a bombscare, sorry'.

Oh how I cried. :(
  • Options
    last year they found a piece of a tagging done on the walls in my old school. It was just a date and time, somehow people read into that as 'bomb threat' and we all had a few hours off as they tore the school appart.
  • Options
    Yeah used to get them quite frequently at the college i worked at last year, the students who had nothing better to do (i.e. when they got bored of tripping the fire alarm or breaking in at night to steal PCs) would ring up and leave an anonymous tip, even though security knew it was a prank they had to evacuate the building everytime, very lame....still, was a nice break and a bit of fresh air if nothing else.

We organised our own when we were at school. We all paid some lad in our class a quid to do it. He made some money and we got an hour off the crappest lesson of the week. Naturally the school knew it was a hoax and I'm pretty sure they knew who it was but they couldn't prove it. Ha ha. The scary thing was, we were usually pretty good kids who did nothing wrong.

Someone tried to petrol bomb the night club that I used to work in too. That was lame.
  • Options
    i remember when i was 13 or so - i had just come home from school with my dad who had had a half day at work - and within the space of 15 minutes there were 7 police cars and a bomb scare team on our doorstep! :eek:

apparently around that time there were letter bombs being sent out to big executives in the area (cant remember why!!) and my dad was one of the people that was expected to get one!!
    we had got a big parcel in the post and my dad was suspicious of it so had called the police.
    was scary as hell. the police officers made us all go upstairs while they took the supposed 'bomb' outside to detonate it.

.. turned out it was something else that my mum had bought off ebay :yeees:

at high school we also had quite a few bomb scares. none of which involved actual bombs. just some stupid arseholes who thought it would be funny to make us all stand out in the rain for an hour or so
  • Options
    i've had to be involved in a fire drill/false alarm when i was working in liverpool street station...was intresting...

did get assulted at college today, but i suppose those things happen...
  • Options
    Lol i lived in Germany on an army base throughout the late 80s/90s. Bomb scares were quite common. Although one i remember they thought was quite serious, and i was on a school trip and they wouldn't let us back in cos they'd closed everything down. Was a nightmare.
  • Options
    We had an anthrax scare at my high school once...they found white powder on someone's back, everyone immediately flipped shit and they put the school into lockdown. Luckily I was in lunch at the time, I was stuck there for three hours playing cards with my friends (oh, the agony). There were helicopters flying overhead and haz-mat dudes and everything.

It turns out that the mysterious white powder was chalkdust. Who would have thought, chalkdust in a school! I'm sure someone lost their job as an immediate result of the incident.