Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tax Code query

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've searched, but not found anything about my particular issue.

I started working as a teacher last September. I had 2 part time jobs, one as supply and the other as a temp in a school. The temp job finished in December. My tax code then was W1 BW and i was charged 22%. This didn't change when my supply work became my only source of employement.

I am now on tax code BR and still charged 22%. This seems a little high, i pay £104.50 tax every week. I'm desperatly trying to save up to move out, but the government is taking away nearly a quarter of my wages!

Anyway, i looked on the HM Revenue website and found tax code BR (basic rate), it said it's most commonly used for people with 2 jobs. I couldn't even find code BW! Am i on emergency tax?

My sister earns just a little less than i do and she pays around £100 a month, she's a nurse. Does anyone know anything about tax?

Comments

• Options
    I know that there are loads of tax codes and it can be very confusing so I would recommend that you go and have a look around this forum :

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.html?f=22

Whenever I have financial questions I go there :thumb:
  • Options
    It does seem like emergency tax. Have you filled out the correct forms (can't remember what they're called) saying how much you earn and all that?
  • Options
    Tax code BR is emergency tax. That happened to me, and about 8 weeks down the line im still waiting for my money back.:grump:
  • Options
    jelly tots wrote: »
    Tax code BR is emergency tax. That happened to me, and about 8 weeks down the line im still waiting for my money back.:grump:

You could be waiting a while! I always get put on emergency tax due to moving jobs a lot and idiot managers. I waited a year for one of mine to come back :mad:
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    When I was on emergency tax they paid it back in the following weeks pay, ie took less tax the following week. Check that you haven't already received it.
  • Options
    When I was on emergency tax they paid it back in the following weeks pay, ie took less tax the following week. Check that you haven't already received it.

When I worked at the bingo I was paying emergency tax for a year and didn't realise till my boss told me :blush: I phoned up the Inland Revenue and they just stuck it in my next pay packet. 800 odd quid it was.

Every other time I've tried to claim it back they've said they need documents and evidence and stuff, even though it's the same tax year? Christ knows, they probably make it up as they go along.
  • Options
    If you're unsure, I'd take your p45 or p60, from all of your different jobs for the last year, to the tax office. They can look at it and tell you whether you're due a rebate. They may tell you to send some stuff off to another office or they may just sort it out there. I've got to do the same from when I did supply too.
  • Options
    I tried to visit the tax office before. They said they no longer deal with people face to face and gave me a number to call. Bloody useless lot.

Is it true that regardless of the code there are only 3 tax percentages you could pay; 10%, 22% or 40%?
  • Options
    Yup. (Well, that and not pay any)

What the code does is work out how they take it off you, what your tax free allowance is etc.
  • Options
    I'm a tax officer - one of those horrible ones on the front desks that sends you away to use the phone :p

Seeing as we have just started a new tax year, contact your payroll department and fill out a form P46 to state that this is your only / main job (tick statement B). This will give you your personal allowance back for now - depending on your payrolls local policy they may repay any tax deducted since April 07 or they may just implement the personal allowance from the next pay day.

Anyhow - to sort out any repayment due for last year (sounds like you will be due a large one!) I would write a list starting from 6th April 2006 running through to 5th April 2007. Don't leave any gaps, if you were not working during at any time, put down the dates and "Not working - not claiming JSA" or "claiming JSA (if you did sign on)" Send in all forms P45 and P60 relating to the 06/07 year with the list, make sure they are the originals as we can't take photocopies. It might take anything up to 10 weeks to get your 06/07 repayment as everyone is claiming them at this point in the year. The address for your tax office should be on your last tax code, or your payroll office will be able to tell you.

Hope thats clear? If not PM me :)