Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Global Warming

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Did you ever think that humanity might just be a virus that the earth is trying to sweat out by global warming????

Comments

• Options
    interesting way to look at it.

but, nope.
  • Options
    that would imply the earth was making a concious effort to get rid of us, which I dont think it is.

have you just watched the matrix or something? :p
  • Options
    no
    ETS global warming is a storm in a teacup :yes:
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    no i cant say I have, its not a nice thought either.
  • Options
    Did you ever think that humanity might just be a virus that the earth is trying to sweat out by global warming????

No. I think if nature really wanted to kill us off, it would come up with a smarter, quicker way of doing so.
  • Options
    Haha. I have an exam on such things tomorrow though I don't think that hypothesis would go down too well.

I do think its pretty interesting that we've been messing up the planet for 8000 years though... and that you can see the effects of the plague in clamatic records!
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    No. I think if nature really wanted to kill us off, it would come up with a smarter, quicker way of doing so.

HIV?
  • Options
    HIV?

Hmm, possibly, but it's no longer really a terminal illness as opposed to a chronic one.

Pandemic flu however...
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    "Quick" is only relative... Supposing that the earth was a living organism, it's been around for billions of years. The whole existence of humanity is a shorter period to it than a day is to us.

As for what I think, no, I don't think the earth is alive. Of course I can't say for sure.
    But I do think there's some kind of balance in the universe, that tends to correct itself. Whether global warming is part of that correction, I don't know.
  • Options
    Must've been watching the SP episode "Lice Capades" then? ;)
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Must've been watching the SP episode "Lice Capades" then? ;)

thats what I was thinking.
  • Options
    Global Warming is hardly a storm in a tea cup, it's a BIG problem which is going to be a huge fucking problem for us and our kids unless it's sorted!
  • Options

Think about it, in geological timescales the next 20,000 years is a mere blip...

As for the OP. Humans are just another animal. Remember that.
  • Options
    Global Warming is hardly a storm in a tea cup, it's a BIG problem which is going to be a huge fucking problem for us and our kids unless it's sorted!

says you
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »
    says you
    And 99.99999999% of the respectable and unbiased scientific community.

But I'm sure Jeremy Clarkson and the Bush administration know better.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    And 99.99999999% of the respectable and unbiased scientific community.

But I'm sure Jeremy Clarkson and the Bush administration know better.

I don't even think George Bush denies global warming, he just doesn't want it to get in the way of his friends making money. And Jeremy Clarkson is probably more pissed off at the fact that road users seem to be being disproportionately penalised compared to other heavily polluting things.
  • Options
    I don't even think George Bush denies global warming, he just doesn't want it to get in the way of his friends making money.

I'm not sure anyone disputes global warming. The dispute is what causes it, (ie humans or natural changes to the climate)
  • Options
    haha!...no its just the type of stoner talk me and my mates come up with....but its true that 8,000 years is not along time at all if you look at how old the universe is....look at the amount of other natural disasters occuring that have tried to speed up the extinction of humanity....who knows...its interesting chat though!
  • Options
    I'm not sure anyone disputes global warming. The dispute is what causes it, (ie humans or natural changes to the climate)

And I think that George Bush is with the majority on this one. His cited reasons for rejecting Kyoto was that he didn't feel that India and China were required to reduce emissions enough compared to the USA, not because reducing emissions will have no effect on global warming. Basically, he rejected Kyoto for economic reasons, not scientific ones.

Oh, and just for the record, when people claim that certain members of the scientific community deny the human causes of global warming, remember that certain members of the scientific community still deny that smoking is the major cause of lung cancer. The difference is that the fossil fuel companies have done a much better PR job than the tobacco companies, and made it appear that there's actually still a raging debate in the scientific community about this, when in reality, the only debates are on the precise extent to which human emmissions are responsible.