Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How can I stop my finger hurting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm knee deep in finals revision and unfortunatly for me the only way I can remember things is by writing them out repeatedly. The way I write the pen rests on my middle finger where I have a writers bump, but with writing so much every day its getting quite painful. I put plasters on it to try and protect it but it still gets sore! Any ideas on what I can do to protect it? :(

Comments

• Options
    Maybe cushion the actual pen with some material or a pen grip? I get something like this too usually in exams unfortunately but it's a horrible ache throughout my whole hand.

Another thing you could do is summarise your revision so you have less to write? I'm not sure if that would work for what you have to revise or even if you are doing this already. Anyway hope it works out for you. Don't put yourself through the pain too much or your finger might fall off :nervous:
  • Options
    Ah pen grips sound good. I have so much to learn so summerising means I leave essential points out! I have such a bad memory so I know now that writing and writing is the only way to get it in my head. I have a big dent in my middle finger aarghhhh
  • Options
    Yeah I know what you mean. Just make sure your finger doesnt have a bump on it when it comes to the exam because it's going to really bug you. I just thought of using a pencil? It might not be as chunky as your pen and is kinda light weight. Also don't press too hard when you're writing and try to relax your hand. Not sure if it would make a difference but I totally feel your pain.
  • Options
    I have a bump from many years of writing but during exam period it gets squashed so it goes inwards! ARGH. I've tried using a pencil but they go blunt in like 2 minutes, and getting some ballpoint bens as they're easier than biros but they ran out and I'm skint! I will get some pen grips though, I hope they help! Thanks :)
  • Options
    Cheap automatic pencils might help too, you don't have to push as hard with them as you would with pens.
  • Options
    Would typing be as effective to your memory as writing?
  • Options
    If you can't find pencil grips then those thick hair bands wrapped around the pen can be almost as good.
  • Options
    You could always hold the pen a bit different, shouldn't be much bother and you should still be able to write properly.
  • Options
    see if you can find some Bic "widebody" pens
  • Options
    sit on it for a while and it'll go numb
  • Options
    I used to have exactly the same problem. I used to wrap toilet roll around my finger and then sellotape it on. Looked ridiculous but worked a treat. Have you thought about trying proper blister plasters like Compeed? They're padded.